Chapter 28

{Jack's POV}

       Pitter-patter, pitter-patter.

        Jack sat in his armchair next to the window, staring out as rain pelted the glass and obscured the forest beyond. Rain clouds obscured the sun, making it nearly as dark as nighttime despite it being the middle of the afternoon. Only a single lamp illuminated the interior of the cabin, leaving the majority cloaked in shadows and darkness. Storms always soothed Jack for some reason; he loved the rhythmic sound of rain pounding against the roof, and the low rumbling of thunder.

        There was a creak from the depths of the cabin, and he turned his head slightly to see [Name] peeking outside her bedroom door cautiously. Her [e/c] orbs seemed to glow against her face in the dim light, bringing to mind the first time he'd seen her. A smirk briefly crossed his lips at the memory, bittersweet as it was, before he called, "[Name]." The girl flinched slightly and slowly looked at him, her [s/c] hand tightly gripping the frame of the door. Tilting his head, he asked, "Something on your mind?"

        She didn't respond right away but then shrugged. "...Not really..." Frowning, Jack rose from the armchair and walked to the bathroom, fishing around the drawers before returning to stand in front of her. [Name] leaned back slightly as he stopped in front of her but didn't move to leave.

        "Open your mouth." When she hesitated again, he gave a small growl. "[Name]..." Immediately her mouth popped open, and he quickly stuck a thermometer under her tongue. A look of pure confusion filled her face, her eyes crossing slightly to look at the white thermometer sticking out of her mouth, making Jack smirk under his mask. He remained still until the thermometer beeped, at which point he quickly snatched it from her mouth. Peering at the little screen, he sighed and mumbled, "Yep... Small temperature..." [Name] just looked at him in shock for a few moments before speaking.

        "Uh, how did you...?"

        "I used to be in med school, you know. I can tell when someone's sick."

        "...You were in med school?" Her tone was full of surprise and disbelief, making him smirk under his mask once more.

        "Yeah, a long time ago. How do you think I know so much about organs?"

        "...Experience?" He chuckled at her answer and would have rolled his eyes if he had any. [Name] frowned, looking puzzled. "But... How did you...?" She trailed off, but he already knew what she wanted to ask.

        "Did you think I was born looking like this? I used to be human, you know." The look of surprise and disbelief on her face was priceless, and he smirked as he went to return the thermometer to the bathroom.

        "What? You were...? But... now you're... How...?"

        "Not sure," he admitted as he stepped back into the hallway. "Just woke up in a field one day with no eyeballs and a craving for kidneys. My memories are pretty fuzzy, and it only got worse as time went by, but I remember useful things, like driving. Remember how I drove you here?"