Chapter 30

{Reader's POV}

        Grunting softly, I rolled over in bed and opened my eyes only to freeze as I found myself face-to-face with a navy blue mask. Immediately I gave a start and almost yelped, but quickly stopped myself from making a sound. Mentally calming myself, I thought back to what happened last night. There was a storm, and a blackout, I saw Jack having a nightmare, and later he came inside my room with a penlight...

        Oh, he must have fallen asleep at some point.

         As far as I could tell he was still asleep, though I wondered when he'd crawled into bed with me. Maybe it was because of the nightmare? Strangely enough, he was kind of cute when he was peacefully asleep. Fortunately the bed was a queen size, so we weren't touching, but still. Swallowing, I edged away slightly and got up, taking care to make as little noise as possible. Not an easy feat, given I still had a chain on my ankle. I really needed to talk to him about getting it off. For now, though, I quietly walked to the dresser to retrieve a book, sitting on the floor against the wall to begin reading.

        I was about five chapters in when I heard Jack grunt and shift, sitting up. Yawning, he went to rub his eyes only to pause as his hands touched his mask. Glancing around, his gaze fell on me and I assumed he was going through the same mental process I'd been through when I woke up. Shoulders relaxing, he got off the bed and walked over, crouching in front of me so we were eye level.

        This time it was my turn to be tense, and he peeled off a glove, pressing a hand to my forehead. My blood ran cold at the unexpected contact, and after a few moments he removed his hand and pulled the glove back on, departing wordlessly. Blinking a couple times, I started to go back to reading when he abruptly returned with the thermometer. "Open," he said, and I sighed as I opened my mouth and he stuck the thermometer under my tongue. Pulling it out after it beeped, he examined the screen and nodded.

        Silently he stuffed it in his pocket, walking out without another word. Weird... Did I still have a fever or not? Shrugging it off, I returned to reading. However, I didn't get far before Jack returned once more, walking to the bed. Watching him curiously, I saw him pull out the key and unlock the shackle attached to the bedpost, catching it as it fell with a clatter. Walking over to me, he dropped it in my hands and then wrapped his arms around me, making me yelp.

        "W-what are you doing!?" I asked, struggling as he hoisted me from the ground.

        "Stop struggling," he ordered plainly, making me stop. "You still have a fever. You're on bed rest, but I figure bed's a bit boring." Carrying me into the hall, the chain dragged behind us, rattling and scraping against the wooden floor. Eventually Jack stopped in front of the couch and carefully set me down, snatching the shackle in my hands and wrapping it around the couch's leg. With this, I was now chained to the couch instead of the bed. ...Well, at least I could watch TV, I guess. As I curled into a ball, Jack went back to my room and returned with my blanket, spreading it over me.

        With me in place, he walked to the kitchenette to start making breakfast. "Pancakes?" he offered.

        "No thanks," I mumbled, not trusting him to make them without burning them. The offer was still pretty nice, though. Sure, I was chained to a freaking couch, but I guess he cared a bit. Looks like being sick isn't all bad. Funnily enough, though, I didn't really FEEL sick... I just had a small cramp in my side. Whatever. As I surfed through the channels, Jack set down a frosty bowl of Frosted Flakes in front of me, making me smirk slightly. Someday I should probably tell him that they aren't meant for the fridge.