14 || the way it used to be

| CHAPTER FOURTEEN
| the way it used to be

| CHAPTER FOURTEEN| the way it used to be

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

The first day back at an actual set of an actual movie was weird to me. Like yeah, I'd done this my entire life. But things were so different now from when I was a kid.

Back then, I needed enough time to do school work. My working days weren't as long, and I definitely didn't feel like I was being sold as a sex item. I guess being a legal adult had changed a lot. And even though it wasn't unexpected, it was still somewhat of a culture shock.

About the Kylan Situation, I didn't know how to feel about any of it anymore. I had just turned sixteen when I finally had enough of the fooling around and called it quits. He had me angry enough to reevaluate my entire career, my entire life, yet I couldn't put into words what it was that tipped me over the edge.

All I remembered was that I had made the spur of the moment decision when I was sixteen and high.

I spent the entire morning doing my job and hiding away whenever I could. But it didn't feel long until lunch came, and he'd finally found me.

He looked at me from the lunch table, smiling as he waved me over, but I quickly turned around. I didn't want to deal with it, and I didn't have to. So I found the nearest trailer, where a woman I didn't know was just leaving, and I closed the door behind me.

I didn't know whose trailer this was in the first place, or what the strange woman was there for in the first place, but it did have a nice chair in the corner and a small kitchen with a fridge.

I rummaged through the fridge. Where I found a bottle of water and a few packed sandwiches, which I knew I had a few from in my own trailer on the other side of the location. Whoever spent their time in here most likely wouldn't mind me switching out one of those, so I grabbed the sandwich, hoping it would make a sufficient meal.

I only just closed the refrigerator when the door opened, and I twisted around toward the sound to find Kylan standing there with a smug grin.

"Are you sure Ayesha and Aaliyah will be okay with you stealing their food?"

"I'll switch it out," I mumbled. I was hoping me sitting in the chair and turning my face away from him would communicate to him that I didn't want to talk. Yet even though I was pretty sure the communication part went well, I felt like he simply wouldn't leave out of spite.

I took a deep breath and squeezed in the water bottle in my right hand lightly, but I didn't want him to see how much I didn't want to interact with him right now.

"Can we talk?" he asked after a long, brawled-out silence that made even the inside air sound like waves in the water.

"I feel like I owe you an apology," he said, looking down at me from his standing position in the door frame. I got up too, not wanting to be looked down upon. Not by him.