Chapter 48

{Reader's POV}

        Thump, thump.

        I gave a start at the sound, my head snapping to the front door in shock. Was that... knocking? As I stared at it in shock, the knocking sounded again, confirming my fears. Immediately my mind began racing, a giant jumble of confused thoughts and anxiety. Why was there someone knocking on the door? It was too soon for Jack to be back, and even then he wouldn't knock, the door was unlocked. Who knew about the cabin? Jack had admitted most of his friends didn't know about the cabin, there shouldn't be anyone who would come here.

        My thoughts were interrupted once more by another round of knocking. Rising from the chair somewhat shakily, I slowly made my way to the door, trying to be as quiet as possible. Luckily for me the front door had a peephole, and taking a deep, shaky breath, I peered through it. Standing on the porch were two people, a man and woman, the man knocking on the door once more. What stood out about them, though, were their clothes. My breath hitched as I recognized the distinct uniforms.

        Police officers.

        There were two police officers standing at the door.

        My breath hitched at the realization, my heart pounding even more. Why? Why were there police officers here? I backed away, hoping they'd think the cabin was empty and leave, when one of them called out. "Open up, we know you're there." This made me freeze. Well, so much for that. Finally, taking another shaky breath, I slowly reached for the door, putting the chain-lock in place before I opened it a crack and peered out.

        "Hello?" I asked, trying to act totally natural even though on the inside I was freaking out. Can you blame me? I'm a missing person living with an organ-eating killer in the middle of the woods. Being found by police officers was literally the worst case scenario. Seeming to sense my anxiety, the female officer quickly offered me a reassuring smile.

        "Hello, miss. Sorry to disturb you, I know this is unexpected. We were going through the woods, and happened to see this cabin and thought we'd stop by. Again, I'm sorry, I know this must be really surprising for you. We just want to ask a couple questions, it won't take more than a few minutes. You don't even need to let us in. Okay?" Hesitating for only a few seconds, I slowly nodded.

        "...Alright..." More than anything I just wanted to say "no", but I knew refusing would just be suspicious. The quicker I cooperated, the sooner they'd leave.

        "Okay, good! Anyways, do you recognize this person?" As she spoke she pulled out a photo and showed it to me. Peering at it, I found myself looking at a young man's smiling face. The photo meant nothing to me; I had no idea who he was, which was honestly a bit of a relief.

        "I don't, sorry." I gave a small shrug, and the officers nodded, the woman pocketing the photo.

        "Okay then. Moving on, have you noticed anything, ah, unusual around the forest, seen anyone out of place...?"

        "Not really... I don't go out that much." Also true. At most I'd usually just sit on the porch, and sometimes I'd go on a walk with Jack but otherwise I just stayed inside. The female officer nodded again.