Chapter 49

{Jack's POV}

        The truck ride was long and silent.

        Jack just focused on the road, trying his best not to look at [Name]. At the moment the [h/c]-haired girl was staring at her lap, her wrists bound in front of her with duct tape. This time he'd bound them even tighter than when they'd first come to the cabin, to the point that he'd probably cut into the circulation to her hands. He knew it must be painful, but at the moment it didn't really matter.

       His grip tightened on the steering wheel as he thought back to the events that led to this. Obtaining the pills had been relatively easy, much easier than expected. He'd just explained he was having nightmares, and after another microsleep episode right in front of them Masky and Hoody had given them half a bottle's worth of pills. Just like that, quick and painless. Honestly, it had made him feel so good about the day, like nothing could go wrong.

        Then, of course all those hopes and good feelings were dashed when he got back. Jack didn't expect to return only to see a police cruiser parked near the woods. The second he saw it he felt his stomach sink dread, and when he finally reached the cabin and saw them talking to [Name], his stomach had lurched so much he'd thought he'd throw up.

        Even before he realized the male officer had recognized her, even before he killed them, he knew the cabin was no longer safe. Even if they didn't recognize her and left peacefully, the risk of them returning was just too high. And with the officers dead, it would only be a matter of time before their cruiser was tracked down and the woods searched. By nightfall the cabin would most likely be discovered, and in that time, they needed to leave.

        And the worst part of all was [Name]'s face. The fear and shock, clearly terrified... of him. His stomach sank at the memory and he bit his lip. Focus on the road, he reminded himself, releasing a small sigh. Focus on what to do next.

        Honestly, he didn't have much of a plan. He'd never thought that the cabin would be found. As he drove along his mind raced, trying to think of what to do now. Whatever he ended up deciding, though, he did know one thing he had to do first. Pulling over on the side of the road, he turned off the truck with a sigh.

{Reader's POV}

        During the drive, neither of us said a word. I just sat there staring at my duct-taped wrists, no longer able to feel my hands. I had no idea why he'd taped them like that, all I knew was that it hurt like hell and I almost wanted to cry. But I couldn't. I just felt too numb to do even that, so instead I found myself just trying not to look at Jack.

        Eventually, Jack pulled over to the side of the road, turning off the truck. "[Name]." I flinched as he addressed me, and after a moment I slowly looked at him. "Hold out your hands." Biting my lip, I did so obediently, not wanting to risk his wrath. Pulling out his scalpel, I flinched as he moved it towards me, cutting through the tape. Immediately I could feel the circulation starting again, my hands and wrists tingling, and as he carefully peeled it off my wrists I began rubbing them. My skin sticky and a bit red from how tightly the tape had been wound around it, but already they were feeling better.

        "Thanks," I mumbled, looking away, but he didn't respond.