23

"Now I sneak up crouchin' like a tiger, like Snoop off The Wire

"Now I sneak up crouchin' like a tiger, like Snoop off The Wire. The block on fire, so I take precaution, mask on Michael Myers. I'm on his ass, he finna be mad, he gon' beat her ass." Von held the left side of the earphones he wore, rapping into the circular microphone in front of him.

"Hold it, hold up." His friend, Durk, tapped the music engineer to stop the beat, and Von looked at him as he entered the booth.

"Wassup?" He asked, confused on if he had messed up or not, given that this was his first time actually recording.

"It's good, it's fye as fuck-the lyrics. But when you rap it, you gotta pronounce every single word. Can't slur yo words foe' 'nem, yo fans gotta be able to hear the end of every word." Durk told him, gesturing with his hands.

"So keep your head up, and step back from the mic a lil'. Sound out every word, and don't rush it, aight? It's okay to mess up. The engineer ah' fix all that." He finished, and Von nodded, following his instructions.

Once Durk left out of the booth, the beat rewinded, and Von repeated his verse, applying the advice from him that made it sound better.

"Von, Von, Von," He bobbed his head to the beat, forming adlibs from the top of his head that would flow in the background of his song.

He looked up from the mic, and he could see Sakari in the corner of the studio by herself, though it was occupied with plenty of others, and she was holding her phone up to record him.

He flashed his diamond smile at her, and she held an even bigger one, sitting there looking like she was a proud mom. He loved her the most.

"Bitch it's do or die, you said you gon' slide? You got some nerve, your shit on the curb, boy we put in work. 'From 64th, and from 65th, we not from 63rd.." He trailed off, saying the last few words over again for more adlibs.

"Oh yeah he finna make a banger with this one," Durk's brother, Dontay, repeated Von's line from earlier, making him laugh.

He pulled the headphones off, sitting them where he'd gotten them from, and then he headed out of the booth and over to Sakari.

"You did so good papa." She wrapped her arms around his neck in a hug, and he kissed her neck while hugging her back.

Only she knew just how nervous he was to come into the studio today and record an actual song. He was used to just free-styling on voice memos, so this was a huge step in the right direction.

"You just saying that or you foreal?" He sat on the side of her while watching the music engineer mix up his vocals with the beat to form his first song.

"When do I ever lie to you?" She chuckled, looking down as he grabbed her hand, intertwining it with his and then sat it on his lap.

"Could you hear it that I was nervous?" He asked, referring to the way that he rapped.