Chapter 37- Revelation

It took several days until I saw Jenni's face again. She came one afternoon with a tray in her hands, having replaced Fanny as my food carrier on this occasion. In the beginning, she said nothing, choosing to walk slowly to the table by the window. I observed her from my bed with great attention, to gauge her intentions. Her true feelings.

However, there was nothing but calmness and easiness. She approached the bed with a smile, after putting the tray away, and took a seat by my feet. "Eloise has asked us to come to her house and have a small party with her and Amelia. We could even stay for the night." She took my hand gingerly as she added. "I convinced father it would do us good. Don't you agree?"

I glanced at her hand on top of mine, at how she grasped my fingers. In a heartbeat, I lifted my eyes to her. To a deep blue. With gentle means, I put my other hand against hers. "Why Jenni? Why did you have the scissors with you?"

Her face hardened, and her lips thinned. "Does it matter?" she asked.

I took a moment to observe how her expression changed. At how she seemed almost too different to be the real Jenni I knew. Then I turned my eyes away, choosing to concentrate on the pale walls of my room. "No." I lied.

I sensed her pleasing smile return. Panic washed over me when I felt her eyes linger on my bracelet. The fake one. I tried to calm myself to avoid shaking under her touch, breathing slowly. However, that helped little my wandering mouth.

"Jenni..." I called, receiving back her attention. "Have you ever wished I never existed? I am living proof of the Duke's unfaithful heart."

This had been a question I had buried away because I was afraid of what she would say. Because I was not sure she would have understood my point.

But she did..., and what I received from her was a poisonous rage.

Her grasp grew in strength as the fire heated, making her cheeks crimson.

"You are living proof of the Mountnero's power. You are our family. My sister." Her breath became rough and her jaw tightened, making her words come through her teeth. "Lulu, you are a Mountnero and you will always be a Mountnero."

I froze under the weight of her stare and her words. The realization that the person in front of me, a child, was not who I had imagined her to be. That the once innocent, well-intended older sister was more like the duke than I would have liked to admit. That this girl would grow into him, become a true Mountnero, capable of destroying anything and anyone in her way. It was way too scary for me. It almost sounded like a horrible joke, yet it was the truth I had refused to see and accept.

I kept quiet while she regained her calm and sweetness. In weary amazement, I watched her lean in and kiss my forehead as if nothing, going back to the affair that had brought her to my room. "Don't forget to choose a night dress with Fanny." a shriek came from our side and Jenni smiled at the little spider who had joined us. "And some garments for our friend, too."

She gave the spider a pat on her head before lifting herself from the bed. "Have a nice rest under the protection of our goddess, Lulu."

I nodded, and she left me in the room feeling hollow and bleak. With a sigh, I let one hand secure my head, while the other pulled the spider closer.

Facing those black orbs, I told the only one by my side. "I do not want to be a Mountnero."

I felt the furry and tiny legs of the little spider on my cheeks. They tickled, and I laughed, even when I didn't want to. Even when my deepest wish was to run away. Far away. To a place where I wouldn't be a Mountnero.

But I couldn't run. I was stuck in this house with this family. With their rules.

Although not for long. Not for long.

Here it is!! Sorry for the short chapter, yet the next one will be quite big

Here it is!! Sorry for the short chapter, yet the next one will be quite big. This week I had to do some painting and gardening which got me super tired. Trying to paint while two curious cats want to smell everything is not easy XD

This is more to highlight Lulu's conflict with her family and make her realize how wrong she was about Jenni (about time it seems XD).

Next we will see Eloise and Amelia. And some wisdom from Fanny as well. Buckle up!

Hope you liked it! :)