↳ 28

The audience applauds once Autumn and EJ finish their rendition of 'Start of Something New', the first song that Troy and Gabriella sing together in the original movie. The pair steps down from the small platform in the middle of the make-shift stage the theater crew set in the gym.

"You have an amazing voice. You're a singer, right?" EJ pronounced his line, looking at Autumn. She looked beautiful in her costume, and he could barely contain himself not to kiss her right there. Instead, he smiled at her, making a mental note to tell her all those thoughts later.

"Just the church choir is all. I tried solo and nearly fainted." Autumn replied.

"Really? Why is that?" The boy questioned her.

"I took one look at all the people staring only at me, and the next thing I knew, I was staring at the ceiling. End of solo career." A few laughs were heard in the crowd before Autumn continued. "But you sounded like you've done a lot of singing."

"Oh, sure, lots." EJ, or more specifically Troy, replied nonchalantly as he put his hands inside his brown jacket's pockets. "Yeah, my shower head is very impressed with me."

More laughter was heard this time, and Autumn gave EJ a discreet small smile, trying to calm him since she had noticed how uneasy he was feeling. She couldn't believe they were both standing on that stage after all the hard work it took them to get there. 

It had been a long journey to reach that night, their opening night, but it was finally happening. It seemed like a lifetime ago when they met but now, sharing that stage, she was certain - she loved that boy.

﹏﹏﹏

It was finally time for the performance of 'Stick To The Status Quo', the biggest act one show stopper from the play. Autumn watched from behind the curtains as Ricky climbed a table in the middle of the stage, a basketball in his hand.

The dancers, who were previously standing on the platform above him, rushed down the stairs from both sides while the music started playing. They positioned themselves around Ricky, singing the beginning of the iconic song.

"No, no, no, noooooooooooooooo," The actors sang as Ricky jumped down the table, joining the rest of the background dancers. "Stick to the stuff you know."

They all started dancing around the tables, continuing the song. "If you wanna be cool, follow one simple rule, don't mess with the flow, no no. Stick to the status quo."

Gina appeared by Autumn's side, shaking her hands as she tried to get rid of her jitters. Of course, she was nervous - it was her big number after all. The audience danced and belted out to the song.  "No, no, no, Stick to the stuff you know. It is better by far to keep things as they are, don't mess with the flow, no no. Stick to the status quo."

Autumn nodded at her best friend in encouragement and Gina grabbed a red glittery tray that Natalie handed to her. Without hesitating the girl ran to the stage, climbing the table Ricky had been previously standing in and starting her complex tray-ography that astonished everyone.

As Gina finished her dance in a split, with the dancers surrounding her, Seb climbed the platform behind them, dressed in his gorgeous Sharpay outfit. The guy who played Ryan accompanied him and Seb grabbed the railings, screaming his line. "Everybody quiet!"

The crowd clapped at his entrance while he descended the staircase on his right, the Ryan interpreter stepping down the opposite stairway. "This is not what I want, this is not what I planned, and I just gotta say I do not understand." Seb sang.

The background dancers moved to the back of the stage to give space for Seb to do his dance routine. "Something is really, something's not right, really wrong. And we gotta get things back where they belong." The blonde boy continued.

"Not another peep, no," The dancers sang, moving towards the front stage again. "Not another word, no. Not another sound, no."

The crew carried on with their dance routine as Seb and Ryan exited the stage. "No, no, no, no. Stick to the stuff you know. It's better by far to keep things as they are, don't mess with the flow, no, no. Stick to the status, stick to the status, stick to the status quo!"

At the end of the song, Autumn and Gina reentered the stage from the right, as Seb and Ryan did the same from the left. They met in the middle, Autumn colliding against Seb as the tray in her hand dropped fake spaghetti on him. 

The audience cheered as Gina rushed Autumn out of the stage and Ryan did the same with Seb, thus ending the scene. 

﹏﹏﹏

The boys did the 'Get'cha Head In The Game' dance number and the first act of the show ended. Autumn quickly got her make-up retouched by Kourtney before hurrying out of the backstage area to find her parents. 

She wandered around the familiar halls of the school before spotting her parents near a little booth selling lemonade to the audience during the intermission. Her mother Claire smiled at her, motioning for her to go meet them.

Autumn grinned, practically running towards her mother and jumping into her waiting arms. Claire spun her around as Autumn's father, David, watched awkwardly. "We're so proud of you, baby. You are doing so well." The older woman said finally letting go of her daughter.

"Thank you, mom," Autumn replied, smiling before she turned to her father. "I'm glad you could come tonight, dad. I'm sorry for not contacting you sooner, I just... I didn't know how to react after the whole divorce situation."

"It's okay, honey," David reassured her, finally relaxing now that he knew his daughter wasn't angry at him. "Maybe all three of us could go out for dinner after this and catch up? Only if you're comfortable, of course."

"I would love to, but I already have plans with my friends," Autumn answered, giving her father a small smile. "But how about tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow works fine. It's a plan, then." David said before Autumn gently embraced him. After they pulled away, the young Campbell's eyes met with EJ's, who was walking in her direction.

"Well, well, and who might this young man be?" Autumn's father inquired, his gaze traveling between his daughter and EJ once he reached them.

"Mom, Dad, this is my boyfriend, EJ Caswell." Autumn introduced them, beaming as she grabbed EJ's hand. 

"It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. and Mr. Campbell. You have an amazing daughter." EJ stated, looking lovingly at Autumn.

"I like him already." David declared, making all of them laugh.