XXII - Rehearsal

I wake up to my phone alarm going off. I want to hit snooze but I know I shouldn't. After somebody kept me up last night, I didn't get much sleep.

I sit in bed and blankly stare at the wall, trying to get my brain to wake up as well.

My phone dings and I look over, it's Jeremiah.

"What time again?" His text reads.

"12:15" I reply.

I walk to my bathroom to get ready for the rehearsal. My hair is in loose curls and I put on one of the dresses I bought when we went shopping.

***

(your dress, but you're free to imagine your own)

***

The dance started twenty minutes ago. Jeremiah is ten minutes late. You said 12:15 which was purposefully late so it didn't look like it was planned for him to be your date. But it blew up in your face because he was actually late for being late.

Cam was dancing with Belly, I love my sister but she needs to make up her mind. Almost kissing a boy while you have whatever boyfriend thing is going on there? Not okay.

"Hey, where's your escort?" Nicole walks over and asks. 

I just stutter at her question.

"I could step in for today?" She offers.

"Could you?" I ask shyly.

"Of course." She smiles and takes my hands. "Although, you're going to have to find an escort for the big night. Paige is gonna have, like, an aneurysm if you wait too long." We both laugh.

Nicole and I start dancing with the group.

WHERE IS JEREMIAH?!

If that asshole set me up I swear to God.

***

I step on her foot mid dance and she hisses.

"I am so sorry!" I say.

"It's alright, it's alright." She tries to calm me down while also dealing with her own pain.

"It was an accident, I'm so sorry. I just like tripped!"

Just then to break the awkwardness comes my 'knight in shinning armor'.

"Hey, ladies." Jeremiah says in the deepest voice he can muster, I swear. "Mind if I have this dance?" He asks.

"Yes, actually, she's all yours." Nicole is more than happy to get away from me and my weapon shoes.

"Conklin.." He looks me up and down. "Damn." He admires.

I scrunch my face, "What?" I ask appalled.

He leans in closer and talks through his smile, "This was your idea. Play along."

I nod knowingly, "Right." I whisper.

He puts his hands on the small of my back, purposefully touching the cut-out of my dress.

"Excuse you," I laugh and take his hands off.

"Oh yeah, they go like this don't they?" One arm lays on my waist and the other takes my hand.

I lie my other arm on his shoulder and roll my eyes.

I lean in to whisper, "Your shirt is gonna get me in trouble with Paige." I motion my eyes to the mesh top he has on.

He whistles and Steven throws him his tux jacket.

"How's this? This better?" He asks after putting the jacket on and takes my hand back in his.

We dance for a little while, purposefully stepping on each other's shoes or wacking the other's shins.

"Are you feeling nauseous or is it just me?" I ask.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, just being near you makes me want to vomit." I smile.

"Haha, very funny." He mocks.

I look around, "I think every girl besides Belly is watching." I admit.

"We can change that." He smirks, "Hey, Alexa. Play 'So Pretty'." He orders.

"'So Pretty' by Reyanna Maria. Sure." And with that the ballroom breaks out into the song.

Jeremiah starts dancing on his own and I shove him with wide eyes.

Everyone is looking now that's for sure.

After a little while everyone starts dancing along.

"I cannot believe you!" I whisper shout at him while he holds my body, forcing me to dance.

"What is going on here?!" Paige asks as she walks in the room. "Alexa, stop."

Everyone stops dancing.

"Jeremiah Fisher, why aren't you at the pool?" She asks upset.

"We had a 'code brown'. Yeah, we lost the keys to the chemical closet." He lies.

Ew.

Paige opens up her binder to a page of keys and hands him one.

"There you go."

"Thanks." He turns to look at me, "Catch you later, Y/n." And winks before leaving.

Lucky for me, as I see him leave, Conrad was standing in the doorway. He saw too.