Ch. 11: Roller Coaster of a Heart

Rani felt someone tug on her arm and whirl her around.

She nearly hit Matt.

He was still in that nefarious suit that was tight enough to give an idea of how fit his legs were and highlighted each trophy ab. Matt's hair, messed up enough to land between sexy and 'I just woke up', made her whimper internally.

It was ridiculous; why would someone in their thirties wear that?

"Why aren't you wearing a shirt?" she groaned.

"You've never seen a guy without one?"

"I have, just not, um, so close."

He took a step back. "Can you tell me why you won't go?"

"I mean, I don't think—"

No answer she could give would suffice. She had paid for it and Nandini wouldn't be likely to go. Rani tried for an abysmally sad response. "You could give it to someone else. I mean, it's for three people."

"You do realize you sound kind of ridiculous right? Who would I want to go with?" He crossed his arms, just showing off his pecs and his stupid arm muscles.

The ones that had shown up in that dream. The heat outside baked everything, giving Matt a sheen of sweat, and highlighting the hairs that trailed across his chest, down his abs and arms.

She tore her eyes away from the biceps to his earthy brown eyes. The ones that were calming yet scratched her nerves with their intensity.

He continued, "Maybe you, me and Charlie could go? I know she likes hanging around you."

One step away and anybody else that was sane would call that a family date.

But she wasn't sane. She was borderline. "If you insist—"

"I mean, think of it as a treat. Well, I don't know how it'd be a treat if you're the one that paid for it."

"Nandu—" She tried to protest. It wasn't only her!

"Did too. And I know why." He closed his eyes for a second and sighed, before running his right hand through his hair. A small cowlick stood straight up, and like a wind direction teller, pointed whichever way the fall breeze took it. "I need to talk to her about...boundaries."

"Okay, fine. I'll come."

She crossed her arms, desperately trying to hide the shaking. Whether it was from excitement or nervousness, she didn't know.

Wait. What if he misunderstood that? They were just getting past the awkward phase of her avoiding him. What if he saw it as her only going through force or coercion? She tried to sound happy as she said, "I mean, I look forward to it."

The grin he gave her wiped her happiness away and a painful thud resounded in her chest, slowly serenading up to her ears. A car blaring music screeched right into her heart, with each beat threatened to expel the organ.

"Awesome. I'll send a date once I talk to Charlie, is that alright?" he asked.

"Yeah. But I'm not promising to go on any roller coasters, okay?"

Matt rolled his eyes. "That's the best part. But alright. I'll see you around Rani?"

"Yeah. See you."

As he jogged away, he waved at her and soon, he disappeared into the crowd, like a droplet of water returned to a puddle.

When she reached her apartment, Rani went through the day.

She'd gone to an auction, just to see how one went.

Saw the guy that'd been on her mind lately.

Saw his ex-wife and the shocked look on his face.