𝐴𝑐𝑡 𝑇𝑤𝑜 - 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

_________________

Chapter Fifteen: Goodbye Mercedes _________________

_________________

cw
character death
self harm (kinda?)
rick being a dick

This had been the second funeral Mercy had attended this week. The morning sun peered through the trees, shining across everyone's faces as rick spoke.

"Dale was the kinda guy to get under your skin. he sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought or what he felt," Rick started, his hands held by his side. "That kind of honesty is rare and brave."

Mercy's eyes watered slightly as everyone stood around Dales's grave, giving their thoughts and prayers.

Beth's hand moved up and down Mercy's back, silencing the few tears threatening to fall from her eyes,

"Id look at dale. and he'd be looking back at me with that look he had. we've all seen it one time or another." Rick continued. Everyone's faces were soft and expressionless, "I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us- the truth, who we really are."

Mercy thought back to every time she had interacted with the older man. Every time he sacrificed his sudokus to see her and Glenn struggle for hours, every time he would give mercy his hat just to see her goofy smile. He was a good friend, truly.

"In the end, he was talking about losing out humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety... our future." He said, kneeling down to the grave,

"Were not broken. were gonna prove him wrong. from now on we're gonna do it his way. that is how we honor dale."

When everyone finished their words to Dale, the group dispersed fairly quickly.

Mercy trotted back over to the camp, hopping up onto the bed of the truck near Hershel,

"Hey, Rick?" He called. Rick turned around from his spot a few feet away. "I've thought about it a lot, and with it getting colder out and those things getting closer, I want you all to stay in the house," Hershel offers. A small smile splits Mercys once somber expression.

"That'll be a tough squeeze," Rick contemplates, "Seventeen people in one house," Hershel shakes his head,

"Don't worry about that, With the swamp hardening and the creek drying up..." Hershel lists,