𝑖𝑖𝑖.

my only love sprung
from my only hate

CHAPTER iii. broken anew

EMERALD's POV

I could already hear the torturous sounds of hands clapping out the back of the white, rich mansion. Everywhere on the walls were fluorescent, neon coloured lights dancing in patterns. I had yet seen the known girl and boy from District 12. My mind was a blur of flashbacks from a few years back when I was 16 at my own ceremony.

I was surrounded by a bunch of freaks, capitol freaks. They were all fluttering around the dance floor with their abnormal freakish dresses. I leaned my arm onto a table with a glass of red wine in my opposite hand.

Here she comes, the gracious, extraordinary girl on fire. A puppet on the president's string.

I studied her outfit and face. She was smiling slightly, but her eyes showed me she was bored as fuck. Her outfit did look a bit odd, odder than normal capitol dresses. Her dress was in the shape of black flames that stuck to her body above her chest area, with red and dark blue feather-like fabric that covered each shoulder. She almost looked like a parrot.

Katniss was beautiful indeed, but I did not feel a single bit of jealousy or competition. I knew if it came down to both of us, the capitol would pick their jewel.

Katniss caught my eye as she walked towards her stylists, Peter's arm in hers. Fear and anger flickered in her eyes, then it was gone.

This is boring me to death.

I rolled my eyes in irritation and sipped the remnants of my wine.

I spotted a slightly overweight man in a black suit coming towards me. His dark grey/white hair was slicked back, he somewhat looked like Snow.

"Hello, Emerald. I'm Plutarch Heavensbee, Head Gamemaker. Its a delight to meet you."

"Can't say I feel the same. That's a heavy duty to replace though." I raised my eyebrows towards his plain face.

"I was more than happy to apply for it." He smiled a disgusting grin at me.

He looked rather familiar, like I once knew him. But I ignored it and said to him, "So, any clues you wanna say for the quarter quell this year?"

Anything he's willing to tell me, I'll take it so that I can have all the advice and help I can pass on to the two young persons who are to be reaped this year.

He chuckled "I would be more than happy to say if I could, but i'm afraid what will happen this year for the quarter quell is between the President and me. But, what I can say, is that I hope all your training has really paid off these years."

And with that, he was gone. What does that even mean? What is it that is coming? How is my training with bow and arrows relevant to the quarter quell? Whatever is was, I didn't want to know, nor do I care.

I looked towards Katniss and Peeta who were now talking to their escort during last year's games, Effie Trinket.

Was there a dress code for tonight or is everyone looking like a type of animal?