✹forty✹

╣i would pray for no news rather than bad╠

Arya was not in the right mood for the event at hand. The throne room was too red. The carpets were red, the glass was red, and the stone was red. Even her bloody dress was red.

Sansa had gained little freedom in her marriage, but she had gained more than Arya. She, as Tyrion Lannister's darling wife, was allowed to wear something other than blood crimson. Her sister was draped in a pale blue, almost Stark gray. Though wolves would be too blatant and offensive to the new king, silver trout and dancing lions lined the hem of her dress.

Arya, as a Lannister ward, was forced into a form fitting golden dress. Her sleeves, annoyingly long and heavy, were a bright red. Perhaps when she cut Joffrey's throat, his blood would look much the same.

They stood on opposite sides of the room. On Joffrey's orders, they were not allowed to speak to each other. Arya thought the order made him look weak. Made him look threatened by the possible plans two young women could make.

Arya was positioned between Jaime and Tommen. Jaime at least looked like he shared her sentiments of not wanting to be there. He had just recently begun to roam the halls of the keep again. Though now he was one hand short and without purpose.

Tommen, the poor boy, was far too clueless to realize where he was. He stood straight and wore a smile as his brother made announcements for his wedding. Arya wondered what it would be like to live such a sheltered life.

Cersei sat in a chair on the right of the throne and Tywin on the left. Arya could guess that Tywin would want to be bothering himself with other problems. Ones that did not concern lace and ribbons. Cersei's smile was far too bitter on her lips. She tried to hide it with the gentle waves of her fan.

Her observations of the room and its occupants had taken her mind away. It was brought back by Joffrey's voice. "Lady Arya!" He called out, standing as if to make himself look taller, scarier.

She stepped forward and curtsied as she was supposed to, barely holding back a roll of her eyes. "Your grace." She answered, jaw steady and smile set in place.

"We are, as you know, family." Arya swallowed a gag. "What with your sister married to my uncle and you taken in as a Lannister ward, we're practically siblings." Arya could see Cersei's smile fall at the word.

"The thought honors me everyday, Your Grace." Arya answered smoothly.

Joffrey continued as if he didn't hear her. "Though, I do not believe that you and your sister deserve the kindness that my grandfather has granted you. Your father was a traitor and your brother and whore of a mother rebelled against me. Their rightful ruler. Had my kindness been short, you would have both been sent to the block as your father before you."