19

Hangman had just come back from being the hero of a mission yet he couldn't help but feel like shit as he watched over Rooster and Flynn at the table in the corner. He had no one else to blame but himself. The girl he was with that night was the girl he always called when he was in Fighter town, she never failed to turn him down. In truth, Hangman was scared. He was scared about what he was feeling. He had never had feelings for a woman before like he had for Flynn and it truly terrified him. He was scared of commitment, scared of being with one person. He had always been known as a 'playboy' and he liked that he was known as that. It boosted his ego knowing that he could get any woman he wanted so when he found himself falling for one, he didn't know what to do. So he did one of the things he was extremely good at, being a player. However, when he saw how upset she was that night, his heart broke. And it broke even more seeing her with Rooster. 

Rooster was everything that Hangman was except for the fact that Rooster knew how to treat a girl right. He knew how to not fuck things up. And that was something Hangman wished he could do. Rooster was the better version of Hangman, and Jake hated that. He refused to let things get serious between him and a woman after what happened the last time that he had...

"Jake, you're being ridiculous"

"Am I? Am I really Melissa? You didn't hesitate to hop in my bed when you were with Rooster so what is stopping you now?" 

"I don't know how you have got the nerve to say that to me when you are equally as guilty. You knew I was in a relationship yet you carried on with me anyway" 

"I didn't have a girlfriend at the same time. I am nothing like you. Don't bring me down to your level"

"Oh please, like you haven't eyed up every damn girl that has walked past you" 

"Are you for real? Is that what you think of me? I'm not the one that opens my legs every time someone gives me attention," Hangman argued, causing Melissa to slap him. 

"Fuck you, I deserve better," Melissa spat, "I should never have left Rooster for you. You're a fucking joke Jake" 

"Well fucking go back to him then. See if I care" 

"But you do care, don't you Jake? You wish you were him because he's everything you're not. I was foolish to think you were ever better than Rooster. You will never be like him, you hear that? Never. He's a better pilot and an even better man. You're the biggest mistake that I ever made," she told him before leaving. 

After that, Hangman was never the same. 

Hangman couldn't help himself, he needed to talk to Flynn before he lost her to Rooster completely. He got up from his seat and made his way over to where Flynn and Rooster were. 

"Hey Flynn," Hangman said getting her attention, "Can I talk to you for a minute?" 

Flynn looked over to Rooster who nodded at her. 

"Sure," Flynn said standing up. 

Hangman lead the two of them out of the back and onto the beach where they sat down on one of the picnic benches. 

"Everything okay?" Flynn asked ever so innocently. 

"I should be happy, proud even but I'm not" 

"What do you mean?" 

"Flynn, what I did before I left..." 

"Oh," Flynn interrupted him, "That" 

"Look, I've seen you and Rooster together. I know there is no chance of us ever being like that and I know it's my fault. It's all my fault. But you at least deserve an explanation" 

Flynn nodded in anticipation. 

"I'm not gonna give you my sob story about what happened with your sister but it ruined my perception on relationships. I wanted to prove to myself and the world that I could get any woman that I wanted and I did. The way I felt and feel about you scared me. I never felt like that before and I didn't know how to cope with it. So I did the only thing I knew how to do. The girl I was with that night, I met a few years ago. Every time I'd come back to Fighter town she'd be there and we'd hook up. She was an easy escape. What I said to you that day, I meant every word. I've fallen for you Flynn and I ruined it because I'm a coward and for that I am sorry. You deserve someone like Rooster, he'll take care of you, he will treat you how you deserved to be treated. I'm just so fucking sorry that that couldn't be me," Hangman confessed. 

He knew he wouldn't be able to deal with her reaction so as soon as he said what he said, he got up and left her there. Flynn sat there trying to take in what he had said before going back inside the bar herself. 

She found Rooster with the others, immediately going over to him. She perched herself on his lap and he immediately wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. 

"Are you okay?" he asked her to which she nodded, "Are you sure?" 

"Yes," she offered him a smile before pressing her lips on his. 

"That wasn't to try and distract me was it?" he questioned making her laugh. 

"Rooster, I promise you, I'm okay" 

"Good" 

Rooster placed a kiss on her cheek before joining back into the conversation with the others. 

"I thought you'd appreciate these," Penny said as she came over to the group of them with a tray of tequila shots causing everyone to cheer. 

"Penny, you really are the best!" Phoenix exclaimed. 

"Well I won't disagree," Penny winked before going back to the bar. 

Rooster and Flynn clinked their shot glasses before downing the liquid. That was the first of many. 

"Has anyone ever told you that you're very sexy," Rooster mumbled drunkenly into Flynn's ear  making her laugh. 

"Hmmmm I don't think so," she played along. 

"Well Miss Miller, you are very sexy" 

"You're not too bad yourself" 

Rooster placed playful kisses over her neck and face causing her to giggle. 

"Ew, get a room," Payback fake gagged making the others laugh. 

"Jealous much?" Rooster grinned. 

"I need another drink," Flynn said to him, getting off of his knee. 

"I'll get you one," he offered. 

"No it's okay" 

"You're a fool if you think I'm gonna let my girl pay for a drink" 

"Your girl huh?" Flynn raised her brow. 

"Will you be my girl?" 

"I'd be honoured"