五十一 | she is clearly mine

五十一
his

As Itachi watched the Fragrance sulk over her torment, he found himself bringing his hand to the back of her head, and awkwardly and hesitantly, placing it there

Maybe it was an instinct he grew up with as an older brother, or maybe it was because deep within his heart, the battle he fought to remain unwavered by her had long been lost. And at that moment, it was as if his body was moving on its own as he pulled her closer and lightly stroked her hair, comforting her.

"Well, that serves you right, doesn't it?" he muttered out, trying to keep his words stern, but it came out sounding soft. "You brought it upon yourself for not listening to me and stayed nicely at the hideout," he remarked before taking a deep breath. "And behave yourself, Fragrance, physical contact is not very professional. . ."

The Fragrance looked up at him, and once their eyes met, an amused look filled her face as her lips curled into a small smile. "Yeah, but . . . aren't you the one hugging onto me right now?"

Itachi blinked at her words as he realised that in his trance, he had pulled her closer to him and returned her embrace. His gaze darkened instantly as his jaw clenched. He quickly pulled his hands back and cleared his throat. "I was simply reciprocating, so you don't feel embarrassed for one-sidedly initiating," he quickly spoke, dishing out his best excuse.

The Fragrance pressed her lips into a thin line as she furrowed her brows and unwound her arms around him, pulling herself back. "Right, if you say so," she murmured, almost in a sarcastic sense.

Itachi let out a sigh at her words as he tilted his head towards the ceiling to recollect his composure. "Well then . . . I can see that your torment in this place was already enough punishment for you. I'll let you off the hook for now," he told her briefly, wanting to quickly change the topic. And with that, he swiftly grabbed out a kunai from his pocket. He looked down at her, and with quick slashes, his blade cleanly and powerful cut the cuffs that restrained her in half, breaking her free.

She was startled at his actions, but then she quickly relaxed as she held onto her wrists, flexing them in relief.

He let out an exhausted sigh before he cleared his throat. "Well, then, there's no time for any more chats," he stated before he beckoned her to stand. "Can you walk? We ought to leave."

The Fragrance looked up at him and nodded as she pushed herself to stand. Clasping onto her forehead, she advanced towards him. Once, she was by his side, she stumbled slightly as she grabbed onto his arm to stay on her feet. He looked down at her, a sigh parting his lips, as he said nothing to it, letting her.

With that, they walked out of the confinement and down the corridor towards the exit.

As Itachi supported the Fragrance to walk, a rush of fury began to brew within him. Just like how he didn't like it when Orochimaru took her away, an urge to burn down the medical dungeon flashed over his mind. He had always held high regard for his home village, but he also had limits to his patience.