↳ 29

Before Autumn's parents could say anything else, the speakers suddenly turned on, announcing that the second act was about to begin. "Goodbye, Mr. and Mrs. Campbell. I have to take our little tulip back to the stage," EJ and Autumn bid her parents goodbye before returning to the backstage area.

﹏﹏﹏

"It just happened... But I liked it. A lot." Autumn spoke, looking down at the book sitting on the table in front of her. She and Gina were on stage, occupying the seats of one of the tables of the cafeteria set. "Taylor, do you ever feel like there's this whole other person inside of you, just looking for a way to come out?"

"Not really. No." Gina replied, chortling softly. The audience chuckled after her line before a school bell sound effect went off, and Gina closed the book in front of her, rising from her seat. "Oh. Come on. Let's go."

The two of them left the stage, celebrating and giggling all the way to the backstage area. "Wow, um, I think we kinda nailed it!" Gina exclaimed cheerfully.

"Yes, we did," Autumn replied, chuckling. "It was amazing, wow. You're such a great actress."

"I'm so glad I got to say here with you guys and be a part of the show," Gina confessed, sitting on a nearby stool as Autumn changed costumes for her next scene. "My mom got a job offer at Thanksgiving but she turned it down. She knew I didn't want to leave. I can't imagine how my life would be without all of you."

Autumn stepped out from behind the make-shift changing closet, now fully changed. "That's so sweet of you." The girl enveloped Gina in a tight hug, smiling.

 "Good thing you'll never have to imagine your life without us, 'cause I'll always be here. I won't let you leave, you'll never get rid of me." Autumn teased, and Gina laughed, hugging her back.

﹏﹏﹏

Autumn entered stage left, dressed in Gabriella's Decathlon outfit, as EJ entered stage right. The Caswell boy winked at her, making her blush slightly - she couldn't believe how lucky she was to have found such an amazing boyfriend.

They stopped walking in the middle of the stage, staring at each other as EJ raised the microphone he was holding. "We're soarin', flying. There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach if we're tryin', so we're breakin' free." EJ sang.

"I can't do it, Troy. Not with all these people staring at me." Autumn declared. 

EJ placed one hand on her arm, comforting her. "Look at me Gabby. Right at me. Like the first time we sang together. Like kindergarten, remember?"

Autumn took a deep breath before beginning to sing. "You know the world can see us in a way that's different than who we are, creating space between us till we're separate hearts. But your faith, it gives me strength."

"Strength to believe... We're breaking free." They sang in unison, smiling at each other as they made their way through the crowd.

"We're soarin', flyin', there's not a star in heaven that we can't reach if we're tryin'. Yeah, we're breakin' free, oh, we're breakin' free."

"More than hope, more than faith," EJ continued.

"This is true, this is fate, and together we see it comin'," Autumn proceeded.

"More than you, more than me, not a want, but a need, " EJ followed.