Chapter Thirty-Four - Adam pt. 2

*LEILA*

When Adam left yesterday, he still looked sad like he was hiding something and didn't know how to tell me. I agreed to give him a chance, but I didn't think that he would come the next day early in the morning, wanting to see me urgently.

I was still sleeping when Rio came into the room and woke me up. He told me that Adam wanted to talk to me about something important and I immediately assumed it was something to do with Giovanni and Angelica. He told me that Callie and Mateo were there too.

"Did he say why he wants to talk to me?" I asked Rio, who shook his head.

"I am sorry I woke you up, it's just that it seemed urgent."

"It's okay. I will see him now," I replied, kissing his lips.

I walked out of the bedroom and made my way downstairs. Rio told me Adam was waiting in the backyard like yesterday when he woke me up.

I strolled into the living room and saw Callie and Mateo sitting alone on the couch. Valeria and Lorenzo were there too, but Dalilah was nowhere to be seen.

"Hello," I shyly greeted everyone, mainly Callie and Mateo.

"Good morning, Leila," Callie excitedly greeted, standing up.

I wanted to go and hug her or something, but I didn't know how to do it or if it would be weird. I felt weird. I can't just go and hug them like it was normal because it wasn't, at least to me. Honestly, I never hugged my other mother as well. Not that I didn't want to, but she never allowed it. Even if she allowed it, I wouldn't hug her because she hated me so much that I didn't dare to look her in the eyes.

"I'll go see what Adam wants," I said, pointing at the backyard.

Thankfully, Callie didn't seem disappointed that I didn't go to her and greet her properly.

"Adam?" I said once I stood close to him.

"Hey...sorry to wake you up," he said, turning around swiftly.

"It's okay...what's wrong?" I went straight into the question.

He sighed before pacing around until I told him to stop.

He looked upset and worried. He couldn't look into my eyes, just like the other day. I instantly felt that there was something major he was about to tell me, something that I mightn't like.

"What is it, Adam?" I asked.

"I am sorry." His voice cracked and a tear left his eye.

Why is he sorry? I thought.

"For what?" I asked confusedly.

"It happened because of me," he suddenly said confusing me even more.

"What do you mean, Adam?"

"When the attack happened," he started and wiped his tears, "they found mom and you because of me. I was scared and looking for her. One of the men followed me to the room and took you." He explained and more tears rolled down.

"I am sorry."

He had been blaming himself for 25 years? He was 5! For fucks sake.

"A-Adam... you were 5 and I was 1 year old. I don't even remember it. You should not blame yourself because it's not your fault," I tried to explain.

"If it weren't for me, Leila, you wouldn't have suffered." He looked me in the eyes for the first time. "I am the reason you have been abused."

I took a step toward him, confusing the hell out of him. I raised my hand towards his face, and he probably thought that I was going to slap him, I put my hand on his cheek gently and said,

"It's not your fault. It was fate. I was meant to live all that because God will not choose something for me that I can't take and bear. God knows I can do it and see," I pointed at myself, "I did it. So stop blaming yourself because that's what it was written for me. That's what I was meant to live."

He immediately hugged me and buried his face in my hair.

"I know it's weird since we don't know each other that well, but I love you," he said, making me smile.

"I...I love you too, Adam. And please, stop blaming yourself for something that you couldn't control. You were only a kid when it happened and I am sure not even our parents blame you."

He looked like the happiest person in the whole world when I told him that I loved him. He looked so happy and relieved.

I cannot say that it was 100% from my heart, but a big part of me felt some love for Adam.

"T-thank you, Leila," he sincerely said, hugging me for the second time.

"Let's go back before they think you killed me." I teased and he chuckled.

When we walked back to the living room, Mateo immediately stood up, and let me tell you that I had never seen Mateo that worried.

"You're right, they really thought I killed you." Adam joked and we laughed confusing everyone in the room.

Mateo cleared his throat and said, "I would really like to talk more, but we have work to discuss. Adam, Leila, Demetrio, and Lorenzo, follow me." He ordered, "and you ladies-" he pointed at Callie and Valeria." You stay here."

Lorenzo and Mateo convinced Danny to travel outside of America because it's not safe. He took Lorenzo's private jet and traveled to Bali.

We followed Mateo to Lorenzo's office and we all got seated.

"I got a call a few hours ago about the whereabouts of Giovanni and your other family, Leila." He started.

"And?" I asked.

"I found them...Giovanni, your father, and your brother."

"Where?"

"While trying to escape to Italy through the sea."

"Where are they now?" Rio asked, tapping his foot on the floor.

"They are held captive in one of my ships."

"I will be the one to kill them, Mateo," I firmly said.

He nodded before saying, "There's something else that you should know."

"What is it?"

"Even though I kind of knew, we confirmed that Giovanni's father was the one who kidnapped you."

"How?"

"Kristina, Giovanni's aunt, came forward a few days ago. I threatened to kill her son if she didn't agree to speak with me. She told me everything when we met."

"But why would he kidnap me?"

He sighed heavily before replying, "Leila, my father was a terrible man. He did things...not even Giovanni did. Giovanni's father wanted revenge and that's why he became allies with me. He wanted me to trust him before he cause pain to my family just like my father did to his. I am sorry."

I tried to process everything and the only thing that I could think of was how I was tossed around for people's mistakes. Of course, I wasn't mad at Adam, but I was mad at Mateo's father, who is dead according to the tense Mateo used.

But what I realized mostly...was that I was used by men. Sick men.

"I-It's okay...It wasn't your fault. My concern now is that I want to kill those sons of bastards."

"Fine, let's go, mi Hija."

* * *