30

Our universe is hanging precariously in the middle of a space war and the fate of everyone is in our hands, and yet here I am. Fighting with a teenager. About her clothes.

"But I don't like that top!" DJ grunts, dropping back onto her bed in exhaustion. 

"DJ I just bought this for you, how can you not..." I cut myself off, deciding to let the matter go. With a long sigh to hold in and let go of my frustration, I set down the shirt and grab another from her closet.

"Then how about this one? It's still stylish but not too over the top. It'll blend right in" I reason, giving the girl a hopeful smile. She doesn't move from her spot on the bed, not even responding this time. The smile slowly leaves my lips and I set down the shirt, walking carefully around the land mines of clothing littered along the floor and laying down beside my niece on the bed. 

"What's going on, sunshine?" I ask, looking over at her. She keeps her eyes on the ceiling, but I can see it written all over her face how badly she yearns to stay here. 

"I don't want to leave. I don't want to go sit on the sidelines while you and Uncle Steve and Aunt Nat and the Avengers save the world" DJ finally opens up. 

Once we all got back from Tony's cabin, we contacted Bruce Banner and were able to recruit his help for our time heist plan. Upon arriving back at the compound, we all agreed that it would be best if DJ was moved to a secure location where she would be kept safe. I'd been in contact with a man over the last few years since DJ got her powers, a man who said she was more than welcome to go to him whenever she was ready. Apparently, he had a safe place in Westchester, New York. A place where people like DJ stayed and trained and learned without the harshness of society. 

A place by the name of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

"Professor Xavier's mansion in Westchester may be on the sidelines, but the sidelines are safe." I reason with her, sitting up on her bed, "There are kids there just like you. It's not a prison, DJ. I'm not sending you away to boarding school or jail, I just want you safe"

DJ sits up too, looking over at me in exasperation. Her features are desperate, and I already have a sinking feeling that I'm going to lose this fight. 

"And I want to go there someday, Aunt Dawn. I really do! But right now, you all need all of the help you can get," She bargains, her green eyes piercing into my own, "I'm not a kid anymore, so if you think you're going to keep me out of this, think again"

I sit in silence and look down at her bed spread, replaying all of the possibilities of what could happen should she help over and over again. As I'm reasoning with myself, trying to figure out whether or not to give in to her, she speaks again so softly I almost miss it.

"I lost someone too. I want to fight for her just as much as you do for Bucky." 

I look up at my niece, my eyes searching hers that now glaze over with unshed tears. She reaches across the bed and grabs my hand in hers, a pleading look overtaking her determined features, "Let me fight for her"

I think for another moment, my face drawn in worry as I tighten my grip on her hand, "You'll do exactly what we say and you'll always stay within range of any of us at a given moment."

"Thank you Aunt Dawn! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" DJ laughs out, lurching forward and throwing her hands around my neck. I can't help but chuckle and hug her back. When I pull away, I tuck back some of her curls with a wry smile.

"Your mother is going to kill me when she comes back" I announce. 

"Oh come on," DJ jeers, nudging my shoulder, "Be positive"