Twenty nine

It was early when Mae woke up, just after midnight

It was early when Mae woke up, just after midnight. A constant knocking on her front door interrupted her peaceful sleep. Mae groaned, getting out of bed, grabbing her robe and slipping it over her back. She secured it in the front as the sound of her mothers footsteps leaving her room hit the hallway floor. She cursed at whoever was at the door at such a late hour.

Mae opened her bedroom door and stood near the staircase, trying to see who was standing outside. She was shocked to see a cop car with its headlights on.

Her mother opened the door and the look on her face was also shocked to see two cops standing on the front porch.

"Good evening, are you the mother of a young girl named Mae?"

"I am." Her mother gulped, grasping onto her pajama top. The front door was only partially opened as her mothers head peaked out of it, a look of nervousness very apparent on her mothers aging face.

"Is she here? We need to speak with her." The cop on the right said.

Mae could only stand in shock as she watched the cops enter the home and suddenly, she made eye contact with them. She wasn't sure what it was that felt like it was holding her glued to the carpet. But even as the cops climbed the stairs, she didn't budge.

"Sweetheart, they are going to talk to you. Just answer all of their questions honestly." Her mother said, trailing behind at the bottom of the steps. She stopped walking, trying to conceal her clammy hands.

The cops led Mae back to her room where they tried to break the ice. They introduced themselves, and looked around her room. The brunette cop on the right was Sgt. Watson, and the one on the right with eyes like hers was named Sgt. p. Anderson. The cops looked around at everything but Mae, even lifting up her bed sheets casually as if to look for something. Her room was very girly. Lots of pink and white, and her style was very pastel vintage from the looks of it. One of the female cops complimented her robe, hoping to make her trust them.

They needed information from her that was for sure. And though Mae was naive, she knew they wouldn't have shown up so late if it wasn't something important. But what had she done wrong?

"Do you go to school Mae?" The female cop with brown hair that hadn't spoken until now, asked. Mae nodded.

"What do you do at school?" Sgt. P Anderson asked as she sat down on the bed.

Mae fiddled with her robes ties, shifting across the carpet to her school books. They were placed on her dresser. She grabbed the colored folders with her writings and doodles scrabbled on them to show the cops.

"I do science, history, math, but I don't really like math all that much." She mumbled, setting each folder down. Sgt Watson picked one of them up and examined the papers. They nodded.

"Do you have any friends Mae? Or maybe do you like any boys at school?" Sgt Watson asked with a sly smile.

Mae smiled, thinking of no one except the green eyed man she was infatuated with.

"There is one." She blushed, thinking of the way Harry talks to her. He has such a creamy voice, so soothing. It was deep with a small hint of an accent. "But he doesn't go to my school."

The cops looked at each other.

"What's his name?"

Mae smiled a bit before she looked out her window to distract herself. She shook her head, blushing some more. She started to giggle a little bit but refrained when she saw the cops weren't laughing with her.

She frowned.

The cops questioned her some more, asking random questions. They asked specific ones like who her friends were and what she did after school hours. Then the conversation would float back to more trivial things.  Like her favorite color. They were playing with her anxiety levels- testing the water.

Seeing as though they weren't getting very far, they pulled out some photos to show Mae.

"Do you recognize this girl Mae?" A photo was placed into her hands. It was a school yearbook photo of a beautiful young woman. She looked to be only a few years older than her. She had blonde hair, bright eyes, and full lips. But Mae shook her head, she didn't know this woman.

"Alright, how about this one? She's your age." Sgt p. Anderson asked, shifting through some papers and handing her a photo. It was another young girl. Bangs, bright blue eyes, and a charming smile. Another beautiful young woman, especially to Mae's regards, but she didn't recognize her either.

"How about this one?"

The next photo Mae was handed made her heart stop.

It was a missing poster for Sarah, the girl in her school that had relentlessly bullied her. The same poster hanging in her teachers classroom.

The cops knew they had what they wanted as soon as they saw Mae's facial expression change. The uplifted yet nervous girl in front of them was now looking horrified as she stared at the photo. She closed her mouth, feeling it dry.

"I-I um- yes, I mean I know w-who she is..yes."

"She went to your school Mae." The brunette cop said bluntly, taking the photo back. "And she was murdered last month. Her body was found this morning. And the suspect's name in her case is Harry styles."

The information flew through Mae's ears and pounded at her subconscious, screaming at her that this was an outcome of how stupid she had been this whole time.

It felt like the world had stopped, the sun disappeared, and her whole body went numb again. She was frozen. The only sound she could hear was her heart beating rapidly in her chest as her hands seemed to turn a ghostly shade of pale. The photo was gently let go from her grasp, slipping through her fingers.

The cops looked at each other in worry, one hand on a walkie talkie, watching as the girl released a deep sigh before she suddenly fell, her body hitting the floor with a thud. 

Ahh Omg guys only a few chapters left!
I hope you enjoyed this one.