xxii. 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬

Lucas didn't mind the constant sound of a guitar string hitting as he read from his book

Lucas didn't mind the constant sound of a guitar string hitting as he read from his book. Not even Erica, who was annoyed with everything, minded much. Cassie was trying to learn the songs Eddie had under his bed, but wanting to find the correct rhythm of the strings before taking it to be plugged it and play for real. Day one she suffered and wrote through her pain, day two she was quiet and did exactly what Eddie wanted her to.

Lucas was like Cassie, they both whitenesses an insane amount of trauma that revolved around death. The only difference was, Max's heartbeat came back and she laid in a coma. Cassie kept her busy with making her listen to the obnoxious sound of the strings smacking the base, and Lucas read to her. They stayed side by side though, that didn't chance over the last two days.

Cassie didn't look up at the door when it opened, expecting a nurse. But, when Lucas stopped reading, she had no choice.

"We've been calling you guys like crazy." Lucas ran into Will and Mikes arms first.

"I know." Mike held him. "We came as soon as we could."

Cassies eyes softened when El moved past the trio, her eyes watering as she smiled at Cassie. The pair embraced each other, the insane amount of lost comfort finally giving the pair just an ounce of peace. Cassie held El, her breathing stilling more. "Are you okay?"

"I will be." Cassie promised her. "I'm just over joyed you're okay."

"I'm overjoyed too." El pulled back as Lucas hugged her. "I'm sorry."

"I got so scared for you, Cas." Mike leaned down to hug her, Cassie held her arm out for Will to join in. "I thought something bad had happened."

"Not to me." she hugged him. "I missed you guys."

"I miss you." Will held her tighter. "Mike and I talked about you to our new friend Argyle."

"You'd really like him." Mike promised her, dropping his head to whisper to her. "I'm so sorry you had to see that."

Dustin must have told him.

"I'm so sorry for being mad at you." she squeezed her eyes shut. "I never want to be mad at anyone again."

After loosing Eddie, she realized how precious timing was. Her final words to Mike were them being cruel to one another, him apologizing and her holding it against him. If he'd had the out come Eddie had, Cassie could have never lived with herself. She loved Mike, no matter how flaky he was. Mike held her back. "I love you, Cas."

"I love you too." she said back, turning and smacking a kiss on Wills head. "You, young man, have grown so much."

Will gave a low laugh. "It's been so long since i've seen you."

"I-" she went to talk, not realizing that it wasn't just the three of them that came. She looked at the doorway. "Jonathan."

"Hey, Cas." he walked forward as she hugged him, her arms locked so tightly around his neck as he bend down to hold her more. The way his hands touched her back hurt her terrible bruise, but she didn't care. "I really wish you'd came to California."