Chapter 18

TW: SWEARING, SELF-DEPRECATION, MENTIONS OF NEGLECT AND OTHER ICKY CHILDHOOD THINGS

Art from Dante's Inferno Art collection - found on Pinterest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This time, when I wake in Tommy's bed, I find that I'm alone. I press my hand to my forehead as it starts to throb. Last night was a blur, from drinking, to crying, to reconnecting... Was it reconnecting?

The look on Amélie's face when I said goodbye to her stuck with me. I knew I would return home soon once we explored the caves and, if we were lucky, find the water. But something felt off when we parted as if we'd never see one another again. I stiffened when she hugged me at the door, heat radiating off the two of us from our training. We didn't say anything, there wasn't anything to be said. 

She watched as I used my elevator to get down to the forest floor and started running towards Querencia. I had arrived at Tommy's cottage only a few hours before the sun started to rise. Tommy was waiting for me when I stepped inside and swept me into a trembling hug when he saw my expression. We held one another in our wings as I cried out of exhaustion. 

"You are only worth as much as you can give to this family, Aster. You are worth nothing."

Father's words echoed through my mind even now. But, strangely, hearing him say it lifted a weight from my shoulders. Finally knowing what he truly thought of me was satisfying. After years of silence and negligence, this takes the cake. 

I reach over to the other side of the bed to distract myself. It was slightly warm, so Tommy must have only just left. My insides turn to mush at the thought of the two of us holding onto one another. Embarrassment is quick to slap me in the face as I realize that I must have cried myself to sleep like a fucking baby whilst he comforted me. I groan rubbing my hands over my reddened cheeks. 

After a mini-self-pep-talk, I drag myself up to face the music. Grabbing some clothes from my bag, I pull a multi-coloured sweater, that I brought with Tommy, over my clothes. I slap myself lightly as I melt again at the mere thought of our time together. Pull yourself together, he's just some boy. I swear I wasn't this hopeless yesterday. 

I open the bedroom door and am met with... the smell of food? The floorboards keep quiet as I walk down the stairs to find Tommy in his little kitchen. Tommy's kitchen was nothing like my kitchen at home. It was tiny, for starters, with barely enough room for Tommy and one other person. The cabinet doors were dark green with soft copper handles. His oven probably only fit one tray at a time and it was all closed in by a breakfast that jutted out from the wall. 

A teasing smile touches my face as I cross my arms and lean against the wall. 

"You can cook?" Tommy jumps so high I wonder if he'll touch the ceiling. I laugh at his surprised, stuttering face as he pulls himself back together.