Chapter Thirty-Two

Immediately the sound of gun fire filled the air. Alessio had fired several rounds and I hadn't fired a single shot. Instead of shooting the man who popped his head into the car I had frozen for a moment and then kicked him with all of my might.

Alessio swung around abruptly and fired off at least twelve shots alone to the man who fell only to reveal two more men waiting behind him. Alessio rattled off another twenty-some rounds to take them out as well before turning back around and jumping out of the car. More shots were being fired. "SHOOT KATHERINE" He yelled.

Fúck.

I dove out of the car with my gun at the ready. We weren't in a garage, we were in some sort of warehouse. Alessio was right, they weren't expecting us to be prepared. There were only about six of them to start with and Alessio had taken all of them out. I was stupid enough to take the time to turn around and shut the car door. When I turned back around to face the room four more men were running in with large guns and yelling in Italian.

I turned around to yell to Alessio and saw another group coming from a door on his side too. I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger of the gun. When I opened my eyes I saw someone on the ground holding his leg. "I shot someone!" I yelled.

"Don't stop." Alessio yelled. His voice was getting closer.

Shooting guns isn't hard. Shooting targets is a bit harder. Shooting at targets when you're being shot at yourself, now that is a challenge.

"Non sparare! Non sparare! Li voglio vivi!" Someone was yelling loudly.

(Don't shoot! Don't shoot! I want them alive!)

Strong arms wrapped around my waist and spun me around. I was forward back up against the car and I screamed loudly. Moments later the glass window of the car shattered and I was released. I gripped the jagged edges of the broken window to keep myself steady. I looked through the window to Alessio. He'd shot through both windows to shoot the guy who had grabbed me.

"Get in the car." He said.

I didn't hesitate. I crawled into the backseat of the car that was littered with broken glass.

"Up front, you're driving." He instructed I crawled back out his side of the door. He stopped me before I could get back into the car. "Listen to me Katherine."

"I am." I said quickly.

He forced his key fob into my hand. It was nice that he had had time to find it. "You're going to get in this car and drive. Pay attention to where it is. Take my phone and call the first three people in my contacts, tell them where I am, who you are, spread the word. Then you need to go back home and wait."

"You aren't coming with me?"

He shook his head. "I have matters to take care of. Put your name in for the password, it'll ask for a pin, put in your date of birth, and then it'll request a thumb print."

"I'm your password?"

"Of course not." He rolled his eyes. "I have a few scapegoats, you and three others can get into my phone in a safe mode. It'll ask for a voice authorization, just say my name."

"How did you get my thumb print and voice code?"

"You really want to discuss that now?" He said impatiently. "Get in the car and go."

"I can't leave you!" I argued but he pulled the drivers side door open.

"I'll be fine as long as you call those three people. Now I found this fob with mine in that bastard's pocket. I'm willing to bet it's going to open that door there, and that's going to attract a lot of attention so you better burn rubber."