。forty nine 。

♡

adella sat in the boot of nancy's car with steve and dustin as they drive back to reefer rick's. robin was in the passenger seat while nancy drove, max and lucas in the back seat. the trio in the back held eddie's food supply and beers.

"not to be a wimp, but can i sit in the car for this visit? 'cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." robin asked, playing with her hair as she leant on the windowsill.

"it'll be fine." nancy replied.

"i just can't stand to see those full eyes of eddie's break again. i really, really can't." robin mumbled.

"it's like denying a puppy a treat." adella spoke up and robin exclaimed in agreement.

"at least he can drink himself into feeling better." steve said, eating some pringles.

"that's what my mum does." max hummed, on headphone off her ear as running up that hill continued to blast in her ear.

"why don't we give it a trial? 'hey, eddie. uh, good news first this time. we got you some dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. oh yeah, and we found vecna. only bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension, that we told you about, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. like, he's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. and, no, no, i know you were already screwed, but now you're, like, doubly, triply screwed.'" robin rambled, adding gestures for emphasis.

"wait. maybe we don't put it like that." lucas mused.

adella swallowed her bit of her pringle, "i think maybe we should but shorter. eddie seems like he would appreciate brutal honesty. i mean, he'd probably scream and stomp his foot like a toddler, but still."

"'we're one step closer to finding vecna.' that's what we say. that's what's important." nancy suggested.

"see, robin? positive spin can make all the difference." steve chimed in.

robin rolled her eyes, "uh-huh."

"you're so pussy-whipped." adella whispered to steve who scoffed with a blush.

"i am not."

"sure, okay." dustin laughed.

"oh, shit." nancy mumbled as they pulled into reefer rick's to see it filled with people and news vans as well as police cars. they all got out. "come on. this way."

they stood behind a van and listened to powell speak, "...reporting a homocide here on the lake. officer callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. we made our way to the shore of lover's lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me. it was there that we found the victim, an 18-year-old senior from hawkins high, patrick mckinney. his limbs... his body, it was disfigured. there was an eyewitness on the scene. we have also identified a person of interest. eddie munson. we encourage anyone with information to please come forward."