Chapter 14: Broken Strings

After Parthenope left the office, Jack and Juri stared at each other, both as confused as the other.

"Leukosia, do you know w-"

"I am just as baffled as you are."

"Hmm..." Leukosia says, standing up. "I'll talk to her later. Right now, Juri: do you mind informing Himeropa to make the staff? And explain to her how it should be done."

Juri nods and stands up with Jack. As she walks to the door, she turns to him, "You coming along?"

Before he could answer, Leukosia says, "Actually Juri, I would like to speak with Jack. Privately."

Jack froze on his steps when she finished. Juri furrowed her eyebrows but obeyed, walking out of the palace, leaving Jack and Leukosia alone. She leads him out to the library, the whole time walking there, Jack was contemplating wether having a private conversation with Leukosia would be a positive or negative thing. Did he do something wrong? Or was she just going to talk with him of plans for the upcoming event? Jack hoped for the last question.

They sat down on the seats as Leukosia casually opened her book. Jack gulped, Leukosia looks up from the page, "Don't get so worked up. I'm just going to ask a question."

"Oh." Jack says, letting out a puff of breath that he held in. "What's your question?"

With her gaze still on the book, she asks "Do you know about the war?"

"War...?"

"Anthemoessa's only war. That happened 19 years ago."

Jack pondered about this, he did hear about some info about this war. All he knew was that is was a war between the Sirens vs The Mermaids and Harpies. Leukosia could see through his expression, he didn't know much.

"The Mermaids and Harpies are our sworn enemies. For eons actually. Everyone percieves us Sirens to be the murderers of the sailors that cross, but yes we do have the power to hypnotize men with our voice (not women though) we just choose not to use the power. So all in all the truth: it is the Mermaids that kill them for they're use while their alliance with the Harpies, help them dispose of the bodies. They do this since the sailors are on water, Mermaids' territory, and to keep us Sirens from discovering our Syn."

Jack arched an eyebrow, "Syn? What's that?"

Leukosia smirked, and set down her book. She gave her direct attention to Jack as she began to explain.

"Syntrofos is the full name of the term, Syn is just the shorter version of it. But Syn is a Siren's mate."

"Mate?"

"Yes mate. Why do you think there are many Sirens on this island? Did you really think they came out of no where?" She sayys with a chuckle.

"Heh..." Jack said, "I didn't really give much thought about it. But where are the guys?"

"That's the down side to a Syn." Leukosia answers, "When a Siren finds her Syn, they instantly get a connection. And how they seal this relationship: the male counterpart has to sing to the Siren, and if the Siren can sing with them, without having the male being hypnotized. If he succeeds, then the seal is done and they are officially bonded together until, they have the child."

"A Siren's child will always, 100%, be born a female and Siren. Once they reach the age of five years, they will develope their powers. They have to test their voice, and it usually ends up on their own father. Since she cannot control her power, and at such a young age, it'll lead to the father's death."

Jack winced at the thought of that. But this then confused him more, "Yet how did Juri not kill her own father if she already had her powers?"

"That's the upside to us Big Three." She said, "We Big Three has royalty blood in us. Meaning, when we find their Syn and have a child: the child will not kill their father because of their genes. So Ligeia being the first of the Big Three to have found her Syn, and have a child, the legendary Siren was born."

Jack then remembered the myth, that a Siren will be born to have the unusual power to kill the nightmares of others' dreams. That Siren is Juri. Wait, does this mean, she knows that Juri is a Guardian? Before he could ask, Leukosia sense this and as an excuse she says,

"Oh gods! I have gone completely off topic!"

Leukosia went ahead and explained the war. "Since the rivalry, after a pregnant Ligeia left with Andre to America, the Mermaids and Harpies attacked Anthemoessa. Without Ligeia's help, and how everyone was mourning over of Ligeia's departure. Ligeia did not know of this war, which is why she didn't come to help. And us Sirens lost this war, leading up to the Gods helping with a treaty. The Mermaids will handle and have their ocean territory, the Harpies will have territory in the sky, and the Sirens will have their island only since they lost the war. But with convince from the Muses, the Gods also added in that the Mermaids or Harpies can not interfere with Sirens finding their Syn."

Syn...

Jack stared a bit pestered by this word, How come she is telling me all about Syns again? Even though he had asked what a Syn is, Leukosia's explaination and smirk had implied something else.

"Umm, sorry to ask, but how come you're telling me more about Syns than what I originally asked for?"

He only ment for the meaning, not how to seal a Sy-

Wait, she explained how to seal a relationship with a Syn...Juri is a Siren! And would that make me her...

Jack jumped from his seat and ran out the door, "I owe you one Leukosia!" He called to her.

Leukosia giggled and opened back to her story.

I hope, I am forgiven...Ligeia.