XXXVIII - Escort Swap

The ride home is silent.

"Jere, I'm s-" He opens his car door to get out and closes it before I can finish.

I wait in the car for a second, letting him get inside before I follow so I can give him some space.

After a few minutes I walk up to my room and turn on the shower.

A shower to cry in, and think in. That's what I need right now. I'm so confused.

After the shower I change into my pjs early and sit in bed. I just want to read, get my mind off of things.

I've only read a few chapters before Belly walks in.

"Hey, I heard your sad shower playlist earlier. What's going on?" She sits down next to me.

I put the book on my nightstand.

"He uh, Jeremiah tried to kiss me and I uh, pulled away." I admit quietly.

"Oh," She says slowly. "I thought you liked him?" She asks softly.

"I di- I do. I think. I don't know." I can't even tell if I'm acting or not anymore.

"But you didn't want to kiss him?" She double checks.

I shake my head.

"Sounds like you enjoy him, his company. But as a friend." She concludes. "Does that sound about right?" She asks.

I shrug my shoulders, "It makes sense." I admit.

She pulls me into a hug and I sniffle. I'm just confused.

"He was supposed to be my escort." I laugh through tears.

"That is an easy solution. Conrad will take you in a heartbeat." She says.

"Really?" I ask.

"I know you've been a bit busy with Jere, but yeah. You have him wrapped around your finger." She laughs.

"Oh," I say.

"In fact," She grabs my phone and hands it to me. "Ask him right now."

"Right now?" I ask wiping a tear.

"Right now." She nods.

I pull up the conversation and text him, "Hey, I could use an escort to the deb ball... would you mind stepping in?"

"No doubt." He replies within the minute.

"Said yes." I look up at Belly with a sad smile.

"Problem solved." She says. "You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah," I nod. "It wasn't serious, we weren't official. I can get over myself. I'm more confused than sad anyway." I laugh through the last few tears.

"Okay.." She wipes a tear off of my face and gives me one more hug before leaving.