Chapter 16

The Garrison was packed thick

The Garrison was packed thick. I squeezed my way through to the bar, where Grace was snowed under serving customers. Tommy's hand did not leave the small of my back the whole way, not until I touched him gently on the arm, a signal to leave so I could talk to Grace freely.

"I'll step into the back room," he said quietly, leaning into my ear. "You have two minutes, Kimber, and then we're leaving."

I ignored the goosebumps that rose on my neck as I nodded to show I'd heard. Grace's eyes snapped to us as Tommy left, and I stayed leaning against the bar. Waiting for the last of the drinks to be poured, I slipped a hand into the pocket of my velvet coat, fingers curling a napkin around the leather and metal of the police badge.

"For you," I said, placing what looked like a crumpled napkin on the counter and sliding it across.

Grace snatched it up quickly. "I've been waiting for someone to press a gun to my head ever since you took off with this."

"I kept it hidden," I lied. "Though, you can't be chastising me. I've been waiting for your help."

"It doesn't seem your life is in any danger," she replied coolly, pouring the last pint of ale. "Not when you're being dressed up and paraded around like their doll."

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm doing what I must to survive."

"The guns," Grace said. "Have you heard any talk of the guns?"

"What guns?"

"A shipment of them that went missing."

"I wouldn't tell you even if I had," I said, leaning against the bar.

"Believable hostage," Grace muttered.

I fought the temptation to slap her in the face. Arthur's words rang through my ears. It was Grace's idea. She smiled and took coins and poured whiskey, splashing into glasses, almost imperceptible over the din of the Garrison. I could have a hit put on her, I realised. As soon as my plan with the Shelby's was complete and I impressed my father enough to have a say in his business. I could have her taken out, and every discerning eye would be looking at the Peaky Blinders, suspecting retaliation. If I wanted my revenge, I needed to play the long game.

"Come on," Tommy said, reappearing at my side. "We're off."

Grace glanced up, then back down again, ignoring Tommy completely. I wondered if the real reason for her hostility towards me lay in the fact another female held Tommy's attention now, where before she'd been able to snake her way in uninterrupted.

And so, just to piss her off, I wrapped an arm around Tommy's waist. After a moment of surprise, he returned the gesture with his own around my shoulders, and we left the Garrison for Dorset.

**

Rain fell down in thick beads and did not relent as Thomas drove. Mercifully, the downpour caused enough of a racket on the roof there was little in the way of small talk between us. The night turned to darkness, and I leaned against the frame, exhausted. It was the busiest day I'd had since they took me.

It felt like only seconds after I'd closed my eyes I was being woken. I jerked upright, hands lifted in front of me, before remembering where I was.

Thomas lifted his hands in the surrender position. "Only telling you we've arrived at the hotel," he said. "I would have tried to carry you in, but knowing you, I'd come out with a black eye by the end of it."

"Hotel?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"Did you think we'd be staying in a farmer's barn?" He asked sardonically. "Sleeping on a bay of hale?"

I scowled. "A hay bale would be a luxury compared to the caravan I pictured you in."

"Find a new insult, Kimber," Tommy rolled his eyes as he left the car.

"Oh, I have many," I grumbled in response, slamming my door shut as I did the same.

The crashing of waves against the shore reached my ears, the smell of salt and sand in the air. Seagulls cawed in the distance, even at this dusky hour. I hadn't been to the sea in a long time. I stepped to the side, trying to peer down to the end of the road where the beach surely was, but Thomas called to me from beside the building.

"Are you coming? You made all that fuss to be included, after all."

I stomped beside him into the hotel. We passed a tall wooden mast, like a strange, thin tower, but Thomas did not comment on it. Nor did he seem bothered that he'd left his car right in front of the entrance, with our bags still inside.

"Shelby," he said to the concierge when we reached the mahogany desk. Through a set of double doors I heard muffled music and laughter.

"Forgive me, sir. The booking has been made for just one adult?"

"And now there's two," Thomas replied calmly. "See to it there's another room."

The concierge's face drained of colour. "We have no available rooms. Not until Tuesday."

Thomas retrieved his gun and pushed the muzzle against the top of the desk. The concierge began to tremble, his brown eyes widening like a puppy's. My stomach twisted.

"What's the issue?" I asked, stepping forward.

"Stay out of this," Tommy said.

I folded my arms. "Why the fuss over a separate room? We're to be married, are we not?"

Tommy's gaze darkened, though he did not shift. "But as of now, we are not."

"Are you really so undisciplined we cannot even share a room?" I stepped forward, pulling a note of cash from my pocket and placing it on the desk, shifting Tommy's gun off in the same motion. "The one room will be fine," I said to the concierge, giving a reassuring smile. "Thank you." I took the key.

Thomas stayed rooted to the spot for just a moment. "Have our bags brought up," he finally said. "And the car parked."

The concierge tripped over his own feet in his hurry to obey, but Thomas turned in one swooping motion and headed for the stairs. He glared at me like he was regretting not shooting me when he'd first had the chance.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked airily.

"Just wait until I get my hands on you alone," he coolly threatened.

**

A/N: thank you so much to everyone who has read, voted and commented 🥺 it truly warms my heart that people are enjoying this x