31

EDITED

31

I slid over one last worksheet for Jackson to complete before we were to head off for finals.

Jackson finished the ten problems in about 5 minutes with only 1 wrong, and that was due to a simple multiplication mix-up.

We gathered our things and walked side by side toward the school.

The last time I'll ever be on Stanford grounds...

"How do you think I'm going to do?" Jackson asked me, nervously.

"You've been doing great at tutoring lately. But how you do is up to you. I know you can pass this, but the real question is do you know you can pass this?"

Jackson's eyes sparkled, which was different; it was probably one of the only actions Jackson did that I didn't know the meaning of.

We stepped into the testing rooms, and after they established the rules, we began to work.

As I went through my test, question after question, all I could think about is how in two hours, I would be at the airport on my way back to Colorado.

•••

Right after the test, Dylynn and Josh were waiting outside of the school in Josh's car. I was going home to Colorado now. I could finally just escape, and I was glad, even though it meant saying goodbye to my friends.

It's been an eventful year, and I was ready to sit at home and relax for the summer. Probably the fall, too, since I'll be settling at a community college.

Dylynn was sitting in the passenger seat, staring straight ahead. I could tell from the back seat she was crying and I felt horrible.

"Dyl..." I whispered. She didn't budge as  she continued to look straight ahead, like she didn't hear me. I sunk back into my seat and gazed out of the window next to me.

Josh helped me carry in the few bags I had, most of the others were already sent home.

Josh and Dylynn had walked with me all the way to my gate and I had an hour to spare. This whole time I've been with them, we've barely conversed at all.

"Do you want us to stay and wait with you?" Josh asked, no emotion shown in his face.

"I think you guys should go." I replied, not able to look at either of them. I won't be able to see them everyday anymore, and I needed to get used to it sooner rather than later.

It would be impossible to separate my California life from my Colorado life if I didn't get a head start.

Jackson's POV-

Jaycee had finished the tests before me, only by minutes. I don't know how I missed her but she was out of site from the campus. Where the hell did she go? I got in my car and drove to where Dylynn and Jaycee had been staying the past two weeks since the dorms are closed for the summer.

I banged on the door until I heard footsteps approaching me from behind. I turned around hoping to find Jaycee, instead finding Dylynn. Good enough, I guess.

"Dyl, where is she?" I asked, my breathing hitched. I knew Dylynn wasn't going to say anything positive - anything I was hoping to hear. I could tell by the look on her face.

"None of your business." Dylynn hissed pushing past me and opening the door. I followed her in and watched as she threw her clothing in a suitcase.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Matt's."

"Dylynn..." I came closer to her. "Where is Jaycee?" I repeated. Why was Dylynn leaving? Where were all of Jaycee's things?