Chapter 38

"Well? What are we waiting for?" Eren asked as the group waited behind the door to the hall.

"Ymir sent a letter to Historia, we're giving her time to read it." Levi answered.

"Ymir sent a letter? Has it got anything to help us in it?" The shifters attitude changed from moody to optimistic.

"It's unlikely. I was only with them for a few minutes but even I could see the obvious." Kaya chimed in, both Eren and Armin looked confused.

"I assumed the same thing." Mikasa added.

"What are you talking about?" Armin questioned, confused as much as Eren.

"Teenage boys really are dense." The ghoul rolled her eyes and avoided their questions.

Eventually, Levi grew tired of waiting and hearing the two boys continue asking questions, so he cut time short and knocked on the door they'd been waiting behind. The group gazed upon their queen, crying at the letter Ymir had sent her.

"You should've waited longer." Kaya whispered to the captain.

"No shit. Maybe if you'd refrain from spreading gossip, then I'd be able to tolerate Armin and Eren longer." Levi replied.

"Ouch." Kaya placed a hand at her heart mockingly. "Besides, you're the captain, control your squad." She smirked, receiving an over exaggerated sigh from Levi.

The three teenagers bowed to Historia, the others respected her but didn't agree with the formalities that came with her recent position.

"Your grace." They each individually said, feeling the pressure of being put on the spot.

"Oh, stop it please, I'm not actually ruling yet." Historia spoke. "But wow, you've been through so much. While I've done nothing but watch the south sky and wait."

"It's an important duty of yours just to keep well and safe." Armin countered

"Yeah he's right." The other shifter agreed.

"Yeah." Mikasa added.

"It's good to see that you're still acting like yourselves." The queen stated.

"Well that might just be that it hasn't sunk in for us yet." Eren answered.

Kaya couldn't help but feel uneasy around Historia. Something was clearly wrong with the queen, her voice sounded sad and absent of any bright emotions, but the look on her face was the same guarded look that she'd seen on her comrades when they'd lost something dear.

"Let's get the ball rolling then." Hange spoke up, sorting their papers with Jeans help.

With that, the group made their way to a courtroom. They were accompanied by the other remaining scouts and the higher ups of the other regiments. Once in the room, the ghoul stuck by Levi's side and followed him to the front of the courtroom. For a thief who swore she'd never get caught, she'd been in a courtroom way too many times.

"The early life of Grisha Yeager. The extent of our knowledge of titan and their history. And information about the world outside the walls. The only people who knows these books exist are in this room now. These texts were obtained through the efforts of the 10 scouts before us, along with the 199 others who were lost. On this day and in the queen's presence, I'd like for all of us to assess our situation and come to an agreement of our next course of action." Premier Zackery explained. "Scout regiment commander, Hange Zoe"

"Sir, the scouts have suffered a brutal, staggering blow. In exchange for the lives of our heroes, including Erwin Smith, we've retaken wall Maria and seized control of the colossal titan with all its fearsome strength. That said, we humans living in the walls have just learned how severe our situation is. I'd be relieved if titans were the monsters we had for enemies. Unfortunately, the true nature of the foe we face, is human. A whole civilisation, one could say it's us, against the world. According to these books, we are a special race that can turn into titans, called the subjects of Ymir. We ruled the world once and some fear we will again. So despite our past century of passiveness, most of the world would like to wipe us out."

What Hange said struck fear into the room, if left unchecked, it could spiral out of control. However, no matter how brutal it was, it was the truth. It was likely that they'd suffer again in the future, they had to prepare for that kind of fate. The ghoul could hear everyone's heart beats racing and wasn't afraid to express what she knew.

"If Marley takes hold of the founder then we're as good as dead, Grisha knew that. He also knew that our 'king of the walls' wouldn't fight back, a king who can't protect his people is no king. So he found the coward and stripped him of the founders power." The ghoul interrupted, earning a glare from Hange, who continued nonetheless.

"The founding titans full might can only be brought to bare if the power is possessed by someone of royal blood. However, when a royal comes to possess the founding titan, their overpowered by their ancestors will and they continue down the path they set before them. Such is the power of his vow renouncing war. However, Eren commanded pure titans once in the past during a dire situation. Despite his lack of royal blood, it was conditionally possible for Eren to use the power too."

"There's no way!" Eren jumped from his seat, shocking everyone around him and bringing all attention his way.

"You scared me, what is it?" Hange asked patiently.

"Oh, uh, I just?" Eren stumbled on his words, not enjoying all the pressure invoked onto him.

"If you have something to say, I'd like to hear it." The premier said with less patience than the new commander.

"Actually, it's nothing." Eren sat back down.

"Huh?" Kaya said, dumbfounded.

"Sorry for interrupting commander."

"Oh, I get it now, that's right." Hange stared into Eren soul, Kaya could already tell that this wasn't going to end well.

"Holy shit." Levi sighed, muttering his words so only the people closest would hear.

"It appears that Yeager is going through an awkward phase. He speaks out of turn and often makes a nuisance of himself." Hange informed.

"Ah, I see, that's rather unfortunate, but he is at that age." Zackery agreed. Causing the ghoul to stifle her laughter in the courtroom.

"Our foe, is the world?" A soldier asked, his voice shaky and he eyes displaying fear.

"That information should stay in this room, if it were public knowledge there'd be chaos."

"Sir, we can't let this get out until we fully grasp the situation."

"Shall we deceive the people once more? That's what you're saying, right? That we keep citizens complacent and blind as the late king did. If we do that, then by what ideals did we oppose king Reiss? What right did we have to seize his crown?" Commander Pixis questioned.

"Then let's announce it. It's only fair, the situation that the people once knew, before one of my predecessors stole it from them. As the people of the walls, all of us will share the same fate. Which is why we must now unite as one, together." Queen Historia commanded.

Authors note = * = sorry but I had to go on a caravan trip and unfortunately there was zero wifi and the signal there was terrible. So this is VERY delayed. I'm not sure how tf I'm supposed to write the next chapters, because there is a one year time-skip when they go to the sea. I'm just gonna wing it and try to add some romance along the way.