10 || that's what actors do

| CHAPTER TEN
| that's what actors do

| CHAPTER TEN| that's what actors do

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

What I didn't know when I got to the audition, was that this was supposed to be a callback. I had never sent in an audition tape. I could only guess why they let me audition anyway.

"Nolan Mullen," the woman whom I assumed was the casting director said when I entered the room. She looked at me through her small glasses, but her face lit up as she saw me like I was some kind of miracle. "You're Brad's kid, aren't you?"

"Uh, yeah," I said, lowering my head as I stared at the piece of paper in my hands.

"We used to be friends. How is he?"

"I don't know," I said. My dad and I didn't talk much. He'd call every once in a while. I also didn't want to waste the limited time they had on chitchat, so I simply let it go.

The man sat next to the casting director on her left coughed awkwardly. "You're eighteen?"

"Yeah," I said. This wasn't my first audition, but it might as well have been with the way I was acting.

"Okay then. Whenever you're ready."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, pretending like there weren't three other people in the room. For a moment there was only one.

"What are you doing?" I asked, delivering my first line with a subtle smirk.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were out here."

"Nah," I said nonchalantly, the word followed by a chuckle. "I know what you're doing. You're sneaking out."

"Shut up," the reader said.

"Where are you going?"

"None of your business."

It didn't help that the reader was so monotonous, but I assumed they must've been an important person in the production.

"Mrs. Knight!" I called out loudly.

"Shut up!" The reader called out more loudly, but still as bland as before. "If you tell them, I'll tell your dad you were smoking pot in the alleyway behind school yesterday."

"Where are you going?" I asked, long pauses between each word to pressure the other character into telling me.

"I'm going to Wesley's, alright?"

"Wes?" My eyebrows raised, and I kept the smile on my face to faux amusement, although there was clearly an underlying feeling beneath the line. Confusion? Betrayal? "Why?"

"Please don't tell anyone. Our entire plan will fall apart."

"Are you cheating on me, Kaelin?" My eyes narrowed, the smile of faux amuse my growing more forced: jealousy.