22

"Remind me again why we can't just have a conversation at home?" I asked as Colby drove down the road.

"Jesus, Jules. You act like you want to be stuck in the house all the time." Colby said, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Well I would be lying if I said I felt comfortable being out in public with you." I said and crossed my arms.

"Really? You think after all the training we've done, I would let anything happen to you?" He asked as I shrugged.

"You can't control other people, Colby. If a gang of fifty comes up to just us, we're both dead." I explained and looked over at him.

"That's not how it works." He said and glanced over at me. "What do you mean, that's not how that works? That's exactly how that works. Fifty against one and a half? Fuck no." I said as he shook his head.

"There would never be a group of fifty people. I don't know if you know this but we try to be as discreet as possible. Tony's an idiot but he would never send fifty guys out to do a kill." He explained and pulled into a parking lot.

"Who is Tony?" I asked as he sighed. "I'll explain at dinner. Hence why I wanted to meet with you." He said then parked the car.

"Right." I said and looked down at my lap. "Am I overdressed though?" I asked as he shook his head.

"If anything, I'm underdressed, sweetheart." He said and got out of the car.

Colby was wearing black skinny jeans with a black button up that had red harnesses near the shoulders. He was also wearing his leather jacket which made it a little more casual.

"You've spent too much money on me today. You're supposed to hate me." I said as we walked towards the restaurant.

"Never said I didn't. I however did say I would take you shopping." He said and opened the door for me.

"Two for Brock." He said to hostess cussing her to nod. "Right this way." She said then led the way through the restaurant.

"You didn't take me shopping though. You sent your credit card with Sam, Stas, and Kat." I said and raised my brow as he shrugged.

"I had work to do. My money brought you shopping." He said as we sat down. "Do you ever just take a day off?" I asked and folded my hands in my lap.

I was super uncomfortable being in such a nice place. I really truly didn't belong in this world so I didn't know why I was being forced into it.

"Nope. Today I had to take care of someone for an order." He said as I scrunched my brow.

"You killed someone today?" I asked, feeling a chill go down my spine. "Guilty." He said as my stomach churned.

I knew he did stuff like that and that he threatened to do that to me almost daily but knowing that I was blissfully shopping while he was taking someone's life didn't sit right with me.

"Hey. Remember what I told you. Nobody dies without a reason." Colby said quietly, sensing how uncomfortable I was.

"Doesn't matter." I mumbled and looked down. "Right. Did you want to wait until we order before we get into what I wanted to talk to you about?" Colby asked and looked at the menu.

We were at a place called Tao's which was a really nice Asian bistro.

"I'm not hungry." I said, looking at the prices. "I know that's not true. I know you think I'm treating you too kindly, but after what we talk about you're gonna be wanting more." He said with a sigh.

"Well now I'm extra not hungry." I said and looked around.

I found myself looking at everyone as if they were going to attack or kill us. It's something I've never felt before.