22: Lets do this

The time had come. It's now time for the group to disperse, go their separate ways and pray to whatever's out there that their plan will work and they can finally kill Vecna.

The first stop is at the Creel house, to let Lucas, Erica and Max out to start the plan. It was scary, leaving the trio of teens to go all alone, into an abandoned mansion. Heading into the eye of the storm.

"Max!"

Max turned around, letting Alex step out of the trailer to catch up. Her face was even but Max could tell it was just for show, her eyes were brimming with tears.

"Please, as soon as you feel him nearby. Tell Lucas, just... just so he can save you." She said, pulling the girl closer into an embrace, arms wrapped tightly around the other.

The ginger hugged back just as tightly, in case it's the last time she ever gets to hug Alex. "Promise, I'll have Kate Bush on standby at all times." She said in affirmation, making Alex nod through gritted teeth. She doesn't have faith in the plan, there are so many variables that could fail. "Same goes for you, if you even feel anything more bad, than the normal feeling of the Upside down. You gotta call in Cindy Lauper."

Alex just nodded, a stupid smile on her face as she thought of a quote. "Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow," she said in a fake voice, as if starring in a production. Max couldn't help but smile at the notion, to make it seem less serious than it really is.

"Your an idiot." Max said plainly, but the airy grin on her face said otherwise. Pulling the taller girl in and connecting their lips again, much to Alex's surprise, the others are watching after all. Alex smiled into it, if this is the last time they see each other, this is the perfect moment.

The two girl parted for real this time with a short kiss that conveyed all the emotions between them perfectly.

~~

Alex bounced her knee in the back of the trailer, she had just tried to reach the Byers again but the line was disconnected. She was growing more and more worried for her friends, she hadn't heard from Will at all over the break, and Mike hadn't even called or sent a letter like he said he would, just so she knows that he is there in one piece.

"Okay. I wanna run through it one more time." Nancy breathed, avoiding eye contact with everyone, as if willing herself to be the strong one. "-Phase One?"

"We meet Erica at the playground." Robin finished affirmatively, looking at the eldest Wheeler. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

Nancy gave a small nod and looked to Steve, "Phase two?"

"Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance," Steve finished for her, looking across to his sister with a concerned glance. He thinks it would be way safer for her to be at the Creel house, but that risks putting the plan in jeopardy, if she puts on the headphones too early, or if Vecna goes after her instead.

"Phase three?" Nancy looks to Dustin, Alex and Eddie in the opposite corner.

"Me, Alex and Eddie draw the bats away," Dustin replied simply, getting a look of agreement from the other two.

"Four."

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and-" Robin held up the bottles filled with gasoline and petrol, "-Flambé."