chapt 55 • Accepting Her

Adam tells me how he has to leave a few hours early to attend the ceremony of completion at the university as I place the dishes into the sink and he begins to clean them

"Can I go with you? I want to be there for a friend of mine" I ask, wanting to be there to watch Charolette in the ceremony before she was off and left for her dream university.

"You're not going to be in the ceremony?" He turns his head to me and I shake my head as I cry the clean dishes and put them in the cabinets.

"I took the early leave, so I already have my certificate of completion in one of my bags" I reached over for the glass he just finished washing.

"You never told me why you left" He finishes washing the rest of the dishes and begins to help me dry and put them up.

"I got all my credits so I didn't need to finish the last week" I sense him stop his movements after he places the plates in a stack in the cabinet above him.

"What about seeing your friends for the last week?" He dries his hands.

"I didn't want to be there longer than I had to," I say, focusing only on drying the two glasses we used.

Then the glass is removed from my hands and placed on his side of the counter, "Ellie was a shitty liar too, now tell me why you really left"

I wait a while but when I see that he isn't going to let this go I just tell him.

"I guess there were things I wanted to do before I started university, one of those things was to come and talk with you and have a relationship with my real father... and today I wanted to try to call Celeste and talk with her as well. It was unfair the way I treated because of who she was married to, and she was nice to me... she can't be my stepmom anymore but that doesn't mean we can't have a relationship" I still can't lift my gaze to his waiting for the response I've become so used to over the past years.

But instead, Adam brings me into a hug. "Ellie would be so proud of you, and I'm proud of you Honey. More than I can express" I hug him back, my lip slightly trembles, thinking about my mother being proud of me.

It may be harder to sit down with Celeste now that she isn't married anymore, and there isn't any reason for her to accept my apology and me wanting her to be in my life but I was going to try and that's all that matters.

I've been at Adam's house for a week and we've mostly just talked about everything and joked how we normally would even with finding out that he was my father all along, nothing changed between us and it makes me happy.

"I can drive you wherever you decide to meet her and pick you up after, then we can go to the ceremony," He says and I thank him and he tells me not to.

"All though you should thank me after you I saved you from making the worst french toast that I would've ever tasted" Adam goes back to putting up the dishes.