Chapter 28: For the People

It was the early morning before the Tri-Commissions meeting. The sun was hidden somewhere behind a grey blanket of clouds. It was an indication that it was going to be a dreary day with no sign of anything to break the monotony.

Inside the Kamisato estate, everyone was restless, scrambling to get ready before the meeting. You were standing in front of a mirror, brushing your hair while your mind constantly replayed yesterday's indecent moment in Chinju Forest.

"What was that all about?" You mumble, feeling your loud heart pumping in your chest.

"Hmm? Did you say something?" Ayato asked, looking over to you while he wore his gloves.

"Nope!" You quickly answered, feeling a warm unwanted tingle rise to your cheeks.

Ayato smiled while walking up to you. He patted your head, reassuring you that whatever decision you make, he'll support you.
"I apologize for making it seem that I don't trust my wife."

"I, too, apologize for allowing my emotions to get the best of me." you look up to Ayato, observing his majestic beauty.

"The truth is, the reason why I declined the Tenryou Commissioner's request was because I wanted to protect you." Ayato suddenly confessed. He felt sudden relief as if he had been holding on to the guilt for too long.

"You and I are equal of high status. People like us are constantly targeted, take my parents as an example. My mother was most likely poisoned due to ulterior motives." He exhaled while gently gazing at you. "I don't want the same to happen to you."

"Ayato..." You whisper, resisting the urge to hug the man. "You don't trust the other two Commissioners, do you?"

Ayato bit the inside of his cheek, faking his smile, "You're asking ridiculous questions." He reached his hand out, patting your head. His thoughts were clouded with confusion, remorse, regret and so much more.

Ayato contemplated, unsure whether he truly trusted the two commissioners or not.
For the longest time, he blamed them for his parents' death, it never made sense for them to suddenly fall ill.

Of course, that all changed once he met with Kujou Takayuki. The Tenryou Commissioner denounced that Ayato's mother was a victim of Fluorescent fungus poisoning.

Ayato was still very young during that time. His father didn't want to stress nor traumatize a child and so, what any father would do, was keep the truth hidden or revise it.

"Ayato!" You call out, trying to grab his attention. "Ayato! Ayato! Aya—"

"—Yes?"

"Do you realize you've been patting my head for a good minute or two?" You pout as you stared at his beautifully carved face.

"Hmm, do you not like it? Dogs generally love head pats."

"I'm not a dog!" You quickly protested, defending yourself as you removed his hand from your head.

As Ayato was about to make a remark, you gave him a hard glare, sending him a hint to stay quiet.

A moment later, a subtle knock disturbed the playful mood. "Apologies for the disruption, my lord. I have come as a reminder that the meeting is starting and we must head our way."