Dire Tombs

Arthur POV:

On the other side of the large doors was a beautiful meadow that stretched out far beyond my view. As we all peered agape at the brightly lit field of grass that glittered like polished emeralds, for a moment, the fact that we were underground seemed like a dream.

"Let me guess, this field wasn't here last time either," Reginald muttered as his eyes stayed glued to the enrapturing scenery in front of him.

Brald let out a sharp breath as he continued to stare at the field. "N-No, nothing of the sort."

After mumbling something indiscernible, Reginald let out a sigh of resignation and stepped through the door. The rest of us just exchanged hesitant glances before following after the hammer-wielding augmenter.

Stepping into the meadow, I studied the large area. I almost thought that we had stepped through some teleportation gate out of the Dire Tombs until I looked up to see the rows of stalactites high up on the ceiling. The deposits of calcium that littered the ceiling of this cave glowed brightly, to the point where I had to squint to make out any details.

What I found suspicious, though, was the very fact that a space like this could exist underground. There were no pillars visible and this area stretched for at least a few hundred meters in all directions. With such an extensive open field with no supports holding it up, I was surprised that this place hadn't been buried in rocks.

"Wow! It's so pretty!" Samantha gasped, her head constantly turning to take in the view.

Tall trees and bushels of shrubs dotted the field. Even I couldn't help wanting to just lay down and relax here but ever since we walked through the door, the hairs on my body had been standing on end, as if my body wanted me to stay alert.

Everyone's guards seemed to be down except for Jasmine and Elijah, whose eyes kept darting around as if searching for anything suspicious.

"Something's off. Keep your guards up, everyone." I remained vigilant with my shortsword out and my left hand on the grip of Dawn's Ballad, which was still sheathed.

"Are you sure? I don't even hear anything, let alone see much besides the grass and trees," Kriol asked dubiously. I could tell he was a bit doubtful but he followed my advice and raised his shield.

I continued examining our surroundings to see what was making me feel so tense. The light that radiated from the stalactites glowed much brighter than the ones from the previous caves. There was also a thin veil of haze layered over the meadow but that was it. There was literally nothing else besides the plants and this mist.

'What am I missing?'

However, soon enough, the mist around us began to gradually grow more dense, eventually thick enough so that I could only make out the shapes of everyone around me.

Suddenly, wind started to clear out the mist. Alistair was standing at the middle of the whirlwind as he roared, "Everyone be careful! This is an illusion!"

I clicked my tongue in frustration. "Everyone! Stick together! This mist is playing tricks on your senses. Samantha, barrier!"

However, I quickly noticed Kriol was missing. 'Where the fuck did he go?'

"Jasmine, Alistair, can you two clear a path for us?" I asked. They both looked at each other before nodding. 

We gave them space inside the barrier of water as they began preparing their spell. 

They released the spell, clearing a path, that also uncovered something else.

Tentacles of vines and branches were quickly making their way towards us.