Chapter 85

Leilah's place...

"Heh..."

As Leilah waited for the elevator to reach her home she grinned and snickered. She couldn't wait to see the look of Darren's face. She felt like a changed woman.

Although all that's changed is her look and appearance, she was also letting go of something important.

*ding!*

"I'm home~" Leilah greeted her boyfriend a bit more cheerful than usual, while also trying to hold it together from laughing.

"Hey, welcome ba—"

Darren's jaw dropped as low as it could. He didn't know who that beautiful woman in front of him was, it certainly didn't look like his girlfriend. 

"Who the fuck are you!?"

But it was just an overreaction on his part. Deep down he knew it was Leilah. There's no one else that could've entered her home without her permission. He was just shocked.

"Pffft... hahaha!"

Leilah bursted out laughing while Darren still has his mouth wide open out of confusion.

"Leilah..." He began, "Is... is that you?"

***

"Mmm~" Leilah shows her delight from the dinner Darren just cooked, sitting at the dining table. "Hah... I haven't eating at all today, there was so much going on with work that I didn't realize I was starving."

"You say that, but you had the time to change your appearance."

"That's only like five percent of my time, you know?"

Darren started feeling that something must've happened. She's a strong woman, both physically and mentally. A problem solver. Very direct. Any problem that's getting in her way, she faces it head on. Even so, Darren felt like he just had to ask how she's been, and realized that he should do it more often.

"Did something happen at work?"

Leilah's smile is slowly fading. Seemed like Darren's worries weren't baseless after all.

...

"It's my mother, she visited my office today."

"Your mother?"

"She was irritated on why some of her employees resigned,, and found out that they switched over to work for ZetaSci."

Leilah's mother. Just her talking about her parents is a rare occasion. And by the tone of her voice, it didn't seem like it was a happy reunion.

But Darren was keeping himself silent to listen. Whether she wanted to continue talking about her or not was up to her. He didn't feel like prying.

"When the conversation kept going..." she continued, "she ended up slapping me. Honestly, I can't even keep count on how much she's slapped me during my lifetime."

Leilah started chuckling while shaking her head. Possibly to let off some steam.

"..."

"And she had the gall to say I remind her of herself, right after slapping me. Can you believe that? She doesn't even know the first thing about me!

"..."

"Did you know how much I wanted to puke hearing that? You had no idea how much I had to restrain myself from slapping her myself!"

"...."

"How funny. She only started taking notice of me recently, when it seemed like didn't give a single damn in the past. Honestly, just who does she see me as? I'm her daughter!"