27. The Challenge

Eldor stared down at the shattered glass, a blank expression masking his emotions. Mending a crack or two was one thing, rebuilding a mirror from small pieces was quite another.

He cursed silently. Midor had well and truly trapped him. Was it possible the Guild Master had deliberately set Sumil up to fail and break the mirror? Even if that were the case, Eldor couldn't back down. He gritted his teeth and gave the challenge his best shot. Beads of sweat popped out on his brow. The glass fragments rippled once, twice, then fell back to the ground. Inert.

"Thy turn, I think," he said, turning to Lucian with a thin smile. There was no way he, Eldor, was going to be the only one to fail here.

Lucian glanced at the Guild Master for permission and then concentrated. He allowed the ether to flow into his body, then focussed on the shattered glass. He had once managed to reconstruct a small hand-held mirror, but this was much larger, and the task much harder. As had happened for Eldor, the fragments rippled across the ground. This time they rose about a foot into the air... before falling back. Lucian wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"I'm afraid the task is beyond me, Guild Master," he confessed to Midor with a wry smile. He, for one, had no doubts this entire event had been most carefully stage-managed by a master.

Midor lowered his eyes, hiding the flash of triumph. He thought he had nothing personal against Lucian, but it still felt good to see him put in his place, alongside Eldor.

He concentrated on his breathing first, waiting until it was slow and steady before drawing in the ether. Then, it was as if his consciousness slipped into another plane, and he could see what had to be done. He guided the ether to heat the fragments, keeping a tight control on the power as the pieces merged fluidly into one shape. His body was drenched in sweat by the time the job was complete, but it was a small price to pay. He had shown both his challengers, and the small audience, quite clearly that he was still the most skilled mage in Tower Vierrac.

Sumil, Elora and Justil were gazing at him, wide-eyed with respect. Lucian had an appreciative, if knowing, look in his eyes, but Eldor's expression was stony, allowing no hint of his feelings to show.

The Guild Master wiped his face and straightened his cloak. "I think we are finished here for today. I'll see thee all later at this evening's feast."

He spent the next few minutes making sure his mirror was securely attached to the wall and by the time he finished, the room was empty except for himself and Eldor, who was putting away the last of the glass lanterns.

Eldor approached, a determined look on his face, but before he could speak, there was the clatter of steps in the passage and the door burst open.

A young mage stood there, with heaving chest and a red face. "The scrying glass! Guild Master! The scrying glass!" He stopped to catch his breath.

"What about the scrying glass?" demanded Eldor, impatiently.

"A monster... there's a monster on the other side! Trying to get through!"

"What in Rhillion's name are thou talking about?" Eldor's brows twisted in annoyance. "What monster?"

"Come and see! See for thyselves." The youngster was almost wringing his hands. "Should I summon the Guards?"

"Perhaps, in a moment. Let's go and see what we have, first," answered Midor in soothing tones. "Lead the way."

The three of them hurried up the stairs to the top of the tower, Eldor following closely on Midor's heels.

The youngster had probably caught a glimpse of something unusual in the scrying glass, or possibly even a distorted reflection of his own face, thought Midor, refusing to be worried. In all the years he'd been using the glass, he had never encountered anything attempting to come through from the other side.

He entered the tower room, prepared to be magnanimous when the young mage realised his mistake. The scrying glass looked just the same as usual. His guide hurried across and pointed down with a triumphant expression. "See? Right there."

For the first time, Midor felt a twinge of trepidation as he came across to look into the scrying glass. He leapt backward as if he had been bitten.

"What the-?"

A wolf's face stared back at him, seemingly from just on the other side of the glass. Which would have been shocking enough, but what was really freaky were the two human arms which were wrapped around its belly.

"What is it?" Eldor crowded forward to peer over his shoulder.

Lost for words, Midor pointed.

As Eldor stared, incredulous, the creature moved as if it were floating. A face came into view above the wolf, eyes closed but obviously human for all that. Eldor blinked twice then bent nearer.

That face looked familiar. He'd only glimpsed it a couple of times through the scrying glass, but he was as certain as he could be that he was looking at the rogue mage, Ben Lucas. But how in Rhillion's name had he ended up like that? Had he somehow merged with another creature? Somewhere in the world between the mirrors?

"I think that's Athol's protegee, Ben Lucas. But he didn't look like that last time I saw him! He was quite human."

"Is he dead? He must be. No-one could be alive with a wolf in their chest."

Eldor shrugged then looked intently at the figure, his expression becoming faintly horrified.

"I don't know if he is dead or alive, but whichever it is, he's coming closer. That creature is glass walking, right through the scrying glass."

He turned to the young mage. "Summon the guards!"