Bodyguard Confidant

I stared anxiously under Matt's intense gaze. I thought I had given him an answer back inside. I needed to learn to protect myself when he was not around. Can he really see through me?

"What do you mean? I already told you."

Matt shifted his weight and cocked his head, "Really? You sure?"

I felt sweat beginning to form on my crown. I can't tell the truth, even if he's one of my close confidants. Matt would take charge and deal with the situation alone rather than leave it to me. It's his job to protect me; I understand that, but I want to learn to take care of matters like this on my own. I, at least, need this form of independence.

"Oliver, I'm being serious. Tell me what's really going on."

I trust Matt completely, but can I let him in on my secret?

"Oliver?"

I let out a breath and glanced at my feet. I don't want to tell him, but I have to. It would be nice to have some backup in case of a problem, but it's mostly a matter of not wanting to hide something from someone I rely  upon

"I wanted the lessons to defend myself against this guy."

Even though I wasn't looking, I could feel Matt's eyes hardening. I knew he would be upset, but I honestly can't tell if he's angry that I lied to him, didn't come to him with my issue, or both.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I could hear his exasperation. It was almost like his anger melted away, which is concerning in its own right.

"I didn't want you to tell my parents or think I didn't trust you to watch me."

I looked up and saw his eyes narrow slightly.

"I feel like there's more you aren't telling me."

UGHHHHHHHHH. Why does he have to be so perceptive?

"...I wanted to do this. On my own. Without any help."

"There it is."

"Are you happy now? I'm sorry I kept you in the dark and didn't tell the truth, but I wanted to learn to do this for myself. This guy could be coming after me because I'm friends with the girl he likes and he thinks I like her and wants me to stay away from her and I can't because I like having her as a friend and I don't know what to do!"

I threw my hands up, trying to catch my breath after my long rant. It felt so good to get all of that off of my chest.

"...You could have told me the truth, you know."

Matt's voice brought me out of my head, causing me to look at him. I'll admit, his statement shocked me. I was expecting him to be a little more upset or reprimanding, but he was oddly...calm about the whole thing.

"I wasn't expecting that response. I figured you would be a little more bodyguard...ish."

A light chuckle left his lips. Why? I have no idea, but it's freaking me out. 

"Oliver. I'm your bodyguard, my job is to watch over you, but I also see you as a friend more than a charge. I see how hard your parents are on you. It's reasonable that you would want to have a little freedom. You want to handle this on your own? That's fine. I'd be glad to help you and work with you. But I'm still going to protect like I'm supposed to. So, if anything were to happen let me know. I'll be your reinforcement." 

I stood there dumbfounded.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Matt wasn't lecturing me about learning to fight. He now knows how much I want to protect myself, to have that little shred of independence. He knows that I'm not only standing up for myself but my friend as well. To hear something other than a reprimand on the subject of wanting to do something myself is refreshing.

"Wait, you aren't mad or upset or gonna tell my parents?"

"No, I'm not, as long as," he gave me a pointed look, "You tell me if things get worse with this kid, alright?"

I nodded my head, "Yes, I promise."

"Good. Just be careful. If your parents and manager learned about this, both of our heads will roll."

I laughed nervously; while rubbing the back of my neck, "Yeah, that...wouldn't go over very well, would it?"

Matt smirked before looking at me, "Come on, let's get back inside. I'll teach you some more another day."

"Right, let's go. And Matt?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks. For everything. The lessons, keeping my secret, all of it. And just like you said, I see you as a friend too."

As we began to walk, Matt clapped me on the shoulder, "It's no problem, Oliver. Now, how about you tell me about this girl your friends with?"

His odd, knowing smile shows me that he's thinking what I know he's thinking. I rolled my eyes at him while shaking my head. 

"You mean Alyssa?" 

"So that's her name. How'd you guys meet?"

"She's Adam's younger sister. We met at a pool party he was hosting. But she's just a friend." 

"Ah, just a friend."

I could hear the emphasis he put on the phrase. He sounds like an annoying friend or sibling who makes fun of you for having a crush on someone. That's not the case here. Not only is Aly a friend, but she's also Adam's sister. I couldn't do that to him even if I wanted to. 

"She is," I said pointedly.

Another smirk appeared on his face as he opened the door. He stepped out of the way and let me through first.

"Whatever you say, Oliver. Whatever you say."