08. {jamie's guide to girls}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

the three were having an eventful day. once steve collected the bat from his house and jamie fawned over it, dustin decided to fill them in on what was happening. he began with how the creature was in his trash, then described how fascinating it was to felicity and ended with it currently being in the cellar.

now, the trio were sitting in silence, steve was trying to process what was happening while jamie mumbled to the music. the radio was currently playing 'hammer to fall' by queen.

"wait a sec." steve finally spoke, "how big?"

"first it was like that." dustin made hand motions, "now he's like this."

"i swear to god, man," steve groaned in annoyance, "it's just some little lizard, okay?"

"i believe him, he's clearly scared." jamie shrugged.

"clearly?" steve questioned.

"can't you practically feel his fear?" jamie shuddered, "and... sadness. no, grief?"

"thank you, jamie. and it's not a lizard." dustin snapped at the older boy, ignoring her second, more specific intuition.

"how do you know?" steve asked.

"how do i know if it's not a lizard?" dustin questioned.

"yeah, how do you know it's not just a lizard?" steve elaborated.

"because his face opened up and he ate my cat." dustin said calmly.

jamie looked nauseated while steve just nodded in acknowledgement. the three ended up sitting in stillness again.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

once they pulled into dustin's driveway, steve unlocked the trunk of his car to retrieve his bat. he threw the keys over to dustin, who unwillingly caught it, and pulled out the infamous bat. then, they walked to the cellar that had been latched shut by a lock and chains.

"holy moly." jamie frowned as she gently held the metal restraints, "are you sure this thing isn't like... rabid?"

"i'm sure it is." dustin nodded.

"i don't hear shit," steve said to the younger boy, still staring at the closed cellar doors, seemingly with suspicion.

"he's in there," dustin replied, extremely certain.

steve hesitated, but he finally tapped the door with the bat.

nothing.

he hit the door harder, trying to ensure that whatever was allegedly in there would have heard his knocking this time.