ONE

CHAPTER ONE
' I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU SAID
BUT I'M VERY OFFENDED BY IT . '

Eddie turned in a circle, eyes flickering over the house with a furrow pulling at her eyebrows. Her hands clenched into fists as she turned back to face Ben, gaze snapping to what she assumed was the Sparrows. Immediately, Eddie thought there was one less of them than the Umbrella Academy, but then she remembered that technically they had Ben, so they were even. She pursed her lips, shifting to stand comfortably that if things turned south, it wouldn't be much hassle.

"Ben," Klaus muttered softly, a small smile forming on his face.

Luther stepped forward, standing slightly in front of her and the rest of the family. "Is that really you?"

"And who are the weirdos on the balcony?" Diego shouted, Eddie not having to look at him to know he was preparing to grip one of his knives.

"They are the Sparrows. My children." Hargreeves said it in a way that Eddie hadn't ever heard him regard the Umbrellas in, and it caused a frown to form on her face.

She froze, adjusting her stance as she felt the ground rumble slightly under her feet. Eyebrows narrowing once more, her gaze flickered to the ground, and her body adapted to this new energy forming below.

This wasn't normal.

"I'm sorry," Five spoke, which showed he was not apologetic. "What do you mean, your children? That's not possible, old man."

"Of course it is! I think I'd know, wouldn't I?" Hargreeves snapped back and the rest of the Sparrows descended the stairs to stand behind Ben.

Klaus pointed at him. "Everybody else can see Ben, right?" he asked.

Ben smiled sarcastically. "Cute hat, Sundance." Eddie narrowed her eyebrows, stepping forward from where she stood between Diego and Klaus, a glare on her features.

Hargreeves rose from his chair and began to walk toward the two groups. "They call themselves the Umbrella Academy, a group of scheming, perfidious malcontents who accosted me in the fall of 1963 when I was away on business in Dallas. Be warned; they claim to be my spawn."

Eddie looked back at him, one of her eyebrows raising with the glare still painted on her features. "Hmm, business?" she repeated. "You mean killing the president?" Hargreeves' gaze snapped to her, and she tilted her head expectantly.

Allison walked toward Hargreeves, "Claim?" She turned to look at Five. "Look, Five, Eddie, what the hell is going on?"

"I don't know yet, but it's concerning," Five replied, glancing at Eddie. She gave him a look, and he flattened his lips.

One of the Sparrows moved forward from the line. "Is he telling the truth?"

"Not the part about us being perfidious," Vanya replied, voice short and sharp.

"I'm not even sure I know what perfidious means," Eddie added quietly, eyes flickering to Klaus momentarily.

"No, we're amateur-fidious, at best," Klaus corrected.

"But we are his children. This is our house," Vanya repeated.

"Yeah, yeah," Luther stepped forward. "We, uh... We grew up here."

"'Yeah, we grew up here.'" One of them mocked, causing the rest of the Sparrows to fall into snickers.

"I kind of think we would have noticed you," another added.

Eddie flattened her lips, jaw clenching. She began forward, a sharp glare on her features before Luther stopped her with a hand in front of her, "Hi, I'm Luther."