Chapter 3: For Her

III. 

Trigger Warning - Physical abuse

The man was dressed head to toe in a dull grey hoodie and matching track pants. He looked like a villain from a cheesy 90s film, his hood was up, and a bottle coated in brown paper was clutched in his hand. Lauren did the first thing she could think to do, and stepped in front of Camila, holding on to her arm so hard that the smaller girl let out a squeak.

"What the hell do you want." Her question was a demand, and a rather cold one at that.

"You've got lip kid." The man drawled. "You're bold." He took a step towards her, and Lauren pulled the hand that was buried in her pocket out to flex her fingers.

"Leave us alone." She growled. Camila pressed a hand to the small of her back. Even though the material of her leather jacket, Lauren could tell that her roommate was already shaking.

"Lauren..." She whispered. "Don't..."

"I want everything you've got." The man spoke. A dark grin spread across his face, and Lauren could see the signs of alcohol abuse in his eyes.

"We don't have any money." Lauren lied. "We're students, you're barking up the wrong fucking tree."

The man laughed emptily. "I didn't say I wanted money... but now that you mention it, a little extra cash would be great." The man chortled. "Easy on the eyes and full of good ideas. I like that in a woman."

It wasn't the first time the green eyed girl had an impending physical confrontation on the horizon. The issue was that whenever it happened in the past, she had a boyfriend there that was prepared to take a beating for her. This time however, all she had was a priceless friend whom she was more than ready to take a beating for.

In one swift movement, Camila felt Lauren spin around and grip her shoulders, shoving her backwards so hard that she stumbled over her feet and went crashing into the gated off front door of a closed boutique. "Fuck." the brunette swore as she felt something dig hard into the small of her back.

Never before had Camila found herself in a position where she physically had to be afraid for her safety. Grand Haven was a town where the biggest piece of local news was that two movies were being shown at the theatre at the same time rather than one, and that was on a good day. She knew moving to New York came with risks, but never had she truly believed she would need to worry about them. When Camila watched Lauren get yanked by the front of the jacket and slammed to the ground, she held her breath and sunk her top front teeth so hard into her bottom lip it drew blood.

Lauren hit the ground hard, and could feel a massive hand strip her of her leather jacket. The man fumbled around the pockets, pulling her driver's license from the inside and growling in discontent when the only thing that sat in the other pocket was the bundle of white cue cards. Holding the license in his hand, he ripped the index cards from the jacket, tossing them to the ground in a flurry of paper.

"I told you meathead that there wasn't going to be anything there." Lauren muttered as she propped herself up. She was down on one leg, her right arm draped over her the corresponding right kneecap, left hand pressed to the cold ground. The man took one look at her and grinned, snapping the ID clean in half and throwing it to the street.

"I've never met a bitch with such a loud mouth." He slurred, throwing her jacket away and advancing towards her.

"Stop." Camila began. "Get away from her..." She didn't know how the hell she was going to be an asset, the girl was literally a walking thermometer.

"Shut up Camila." Lauren had turned slightly and was glaring at her roommate. Camila snapped her mouth shut when their eyes met. "Just shut up. Don't say a fucking word." Never before had she seen such an intense green blaze in Lauren's eyes. She had seen the dull verdant when Lauren was stressed, the glassy jade when she was drunk, and the sparkling emerald when she was happy or excited. What she was looking at now however, was something completely new. Something full of ferocity and bravery, and maybe just the slightest hint of fear.