10. {dart and friends}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"it's kinda awesome." max said when she joined the two at the top of the bus.

"huh?"

"the fog, i mean." the mayfield girl elaborated. "looks like the ocean."

"you miss it?"

"what?"

"the ocean. the waves? california?" lucas persisted, "hawkins seems pretty lame, i bet."

max shook her head, "no, no, no, it's not that. it's just my dad's still there, so-"

"why?" lucas inquired.

"it's this legal term called divorce." max joked, "see, when two married people don't love each other anymore-"

"yeah." lucas cut her off while nodding.

"my mom and my stepdad, they wanted a fresh start away from him." max rambled, "as if-as if he was the problem, which is total bull. and things are just worse now. my stepbrother's always been a dick, but now he's just angry all the time and well, he can't take it out on my mom, so-"

"so he takes it out on you." felicity ended, a frown on her face.

max nodded, quickly wiping her tears away. "i don't even know why i'm telling you guys this, fliss, you've probably already seen." she chuckled awkwardly. "it's just i know that i can be a jerk like him sometimes, and i do not want to be like him. ever. i guess i'm angry, too, and... i'm sorry."

felicity's heart broke for max. she knew first-hand that billy wasn't a good guy and wished every day she could support her more.

"jesus! what's wrong with me?" max chuckled, her face full of tears.

"hey-" felicity started but lucas beat her to it.

"you're nothing like your brother, okay?" lucas reassured her, "you're cool and different. and you're super smart. and you're, like, totally tubular."

felicity could feel her eyes glossing over and she silently moved over to the ladder, not wanting to disturb them. hearing the way lucas spoke about max was like a stab in the chest.

"nobody actually says that, you know."

"well, i do now."

"and it makes you seem really cool." max told him.

"i like talking with you, mad max."

"and like talking with you, stalker."

"fliss, you alright?" jamie asked her sister who had just fully climbed down the ladder.

felicity didn't want to take her emotions out on her sister, so she just sighed. "not right now, jamie." the girl had no idea what she was feeling. it was like there was a pit in her stomach and a strain on her heart. seeing the person she potentially liked with her friend was aching.