Chapter 25

It's already ten in the evening and I'm still facing at Reil who's sitting across me on our bed. Bags are under his eyes but it seems like sleep can't find him. He's just staring at me for a while now, sometimes his head would hang low before he will take a deep breath. I know that there are lots of questions playing around his mind but he doesn't know where to start. He's too young to be placed in a situation like this.

Chase hasn't come back either since he left with Colleen. He didn't text me nor call me again. I don't want to ask him how he is at the moment and what happened right after they left. I know he can settle things on his own. I just hope that his alter won't steal the light from him.

"Are you sleepy yet, Reil?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "I'm afraid that if I sleep. . . you'll be gone, Aunt Tanya."

My brows furrowed at that. "Why would I be gone? I'm still here when you wake up. I won't leave you. I'm not going anywhere Reil."

He looked down and remained silent for nearly a minute. It's then I saw how his innocent face crinkle as little sobs escaped from his throat. I immediately pulled him into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his frail body and so was he.

"I'm scared of Mommy, Aunt Tanya. I feel like she's going to hurt me again like what she kept on doing to me before."

I stiffened at what he said. "T-They're hurting you?"

"Yes. But it doesn't matter to me because they are my parents and I love them so much. But sometimes, I pray to God that He will make them a little bit gentle to me because I am still just a little boy," his voice was quivering and his sobs were honestly piercing my heart into tiny pieces. "Don't I deserve to be loved, Aunt Tanya?"

I shook my head several times while tears streaming down my eyes, but I didn't let him see me. A teardrop from my eyes even fell on the back of his gray shirt.

I don't recall Reil mentioned to me before about Colleen and his lover hurting him. What I only know is that they abandoned him for good. I didn't think they have the capacity to hurt the poor kid. He's too young to experience that.

"Don't think about that Reil. I love you, Mama Mercy also loves you. Most especially, you D-Daddy Chase, he loves you so much..."

He stopped from sobbing and then pulled away from our hug to look at me.

"Is he really my daddy, Aunt Tanya? I can't understand po. If he's my daddy, then what about my Papa Meynard?"

I breathed out. I released myself from his embrace and stared intently at him. I even held his hands and gave him a warm smile.

"I'm not in the position to tell and explain you about these things but I think you need to know the truth, Reil..."

He nodded his head while staring back at me. "I'll try to understand you as much as I can, Aunt Tanya. Whatever you'll say, I'm gonna believe it because I trust you."

I smiled at him and stroked his smooth hair.

"Your mom and Chase are your real parents. You mom gave birth to you even before he met your Papa Meynard. Aren't you a bit curious why Chase and you have the same eyes? Because you got that from him. And you know what Reil, I actually saw his childhood photo. You really look alike. That's when I concluded that you might be related with one another."

I was praying that he would understand everything I told him. I tried to explain it the simplest way I can. He looks puzzled while staring at me as if he's trying to absorb every details in his head.

"If that's the case, why isn't he the one with Mommy and I when we were in the States, Aunt Tanya? Shouldn't he supposed to be with us?"

I took a deep breath. I didn't have any idea this is going to be this tough. It's hard as I'm explaining it to a child.

"Your mom hid you when you were just a baby, Reil. Your Daddy Chase tried everything to look for you but he never got successful. But now that he finally found you, he's relieved and happy at the same time..." I took a deep breath again and caressed his hiar. "I know it's hard for you to accept him as your father, Reil. I just hope you give him the chance to prove himself as a father."

He took a deep breath and gave me a small smile. "I don't see anything wrong with that. I may not fully understand the things that are happening right now but I know you are here to guide me. I just have one wish. . ."

"What is that, Reil? Anything, so long as I can do it."

He hugged me back again and leaned his head against my chest.

"Don't give me to my mommy, Aunt Tanya. I want to stay here with you."

I smiled. "If that's what you want, Reil."

He fell asleep not long after that. His arms are wrapped on my waist as he hugged me to sleep. Probably because of everything that happened he finally fell asleep. I carefully removed his hands from my waist when I heard the door creaked.

I looked and my eyes went wide upon seeing Chase. His eyes were focused on me, looking serious but has tinged of gloominess in them.

"Chase!" I called while my heart beats rapidly at the mere sight of him.

He walked towards me. His eyes then anchored on Reil. He's looking at him tenderly. He stopped in front of me, leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. He squatted in front of me and smiled a bit, exhaustion laced with it.

"How is he?" he asked.

"He's fine. How did you manage to enter? Who opened the door for you?"

"Aunt Mercy is still awake. She's having coffee at the terrace when I got here. I just asked her permission to go here and see you."

So Mama is still awake? I bet she probably can't sleep as well.

I nodded my head still thinking of the reason why mom is still awake but I was snapped from my thoughts when Chase leaned down on my thighs and wrapped his hands around my waist.

My body suddenly went stiff as I watched his shoulders moving up and down in a slow pace. I placed my hands on his head and stroke his hair gently.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fucking drained..." he mumbled against my legs.

I sighed. "Have you talked to Colleen?"

He nodded. He then looked at me with his gloomy eyes. He brought his hand on my cheek and caressed it gently.

"We did. She agreed to give me the full rights to my son."

I gasped. That fast?

"What did she a-asked in return?"

"A huge amount of money."

"That's it?"

He nodded again. He held my hand and kissed them. His lips stayed there for several minutes while he's breathing deeply and heavily.

"If I have just known that she's after my money, I wouldn't mind giving him my damn wealth in exchange of my son."

I can feel my insides boiling with what he said. My mind can't seem to accept and understand that Colleen would give up her rights on Reil just like that. In exchange of money? Doesn't she care about him? She was the one who gave birth to him, doesn't she even loved his son? Giving up her rights would mean she can't see him anymore, won't she miss him at all?

"That fast, Chase? And she will not claim her rights on her son anymore?"

He raised his head and looked at me.

"That's what she said. Don't worry, we'll have an agreement. I'm not convinced by her words. Once she signed that, I'll fix everything regarding Azriel. She won't get the chance to be with him for I know that she would only bring him danger," he took a deep breath. "No traumatic experience for my son. I'll make sure of that."

I did not answer. Seeing his face right now, I can see that he really won't let anything bad happen to Azriel. I know he's being cautious and wary that he might experience what he's been experiencing at the moment. But I know that he will do his best to raise his son well... given the situation he's currently in.

He bent forward and kissed me on the cheek. He stood up, sat beside me and looked at Reil. He leaned his elbows against his thighs and stared at him intently.

"I'll make it up to you, son. I promise." he whispered, his voice broke into tears.

When I looked at him I saw a tear fall down from the side of his cheek. He leaned down and kissed his son on the forehead. When he went back to his position, we're both surprised to see Reil looking at him.

"D-Daddy..." he murmured through his little voice.