12. {the mind flayer}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

november 4th
byers' residence

"i'm sorry, bud." jonathan apologised to his sleeping brother, "sorry i wasn't there. i should have been here."

jamie and steve observed as nancy walked over to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. steve frowned and stepped into the dining room, where the kids were all sitting.

the adams girl watched him go and chose to follow him, walking past hopper. the chief of police had been on the phone for a while and he was losing his patience.

"sam owens. dr sam owens." hopper spoke into the phone.'

"you okay?" jamie whispered.

"what? yeah." steve nodded. "how do you know him?"

"who?"

"hopper." steve gestured to the man on the phone.

"he used to live in new york." jamie informed him, "he and my dad were both vetrans - they're friends. he's uncle jim."

"oh." steve mumbled.

"yeah." jamie softly smiled, it was quite awkward. so she turned around and leaned over the wooden table. "you guys alright?"

they all began muttering a response back to her, nodding their heads.

"cool, cool." jamie said, glancing down at the boy she hadn't recognised. "i'm jamie."

"i know." mike grumbled, not in the mood to make new friends. but when he saw the kind expression on her face, he sighed. "mike."

"lovely to meet you." jamie smiled.

suddenly, hopper slammed the phone back onto its holder in pure frustration.

"they didn't believe you, did they?" dustin questioned him.

hopper turned to face them, seeing all seven of them looking at him with hopeful eyes, "we'll see." he sighed.

"we'll see?" mike scoffed, his mood completely changing, "we can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"for the first time in forever, mike is right." felicity chimed in.

mike looked at her, stunned she was actually agreeing with him. maybe she wasn't as bad as she seemed.

"we stay here, and we wait for help." hopper instructed before walking away.

so they did. steve was leaning on the sink, max, lucas, dustin and mike were sitting around the dining table while felicity and jamie were whispering in the corner of the room.

due to their three-year age gap and their contrasting personalities, the two didn't have much in common. but since they had previously gone through a lot together, they were extremely close.