29. The Struggle

The glass embraced him, like slipping into a pool of cold water on a hot day. Ben had been walking forward, an inch at a time, seemingly for hours, but the cool sensation prompted him to think of swimming. He didn't seem to be making much progress this way though he had no clue as to how much time was actually passing. It was always a struggle to decipher what was really happening and what was just in his mind. Sometimes he even wondered whether this whole world between the mirrors only existed in a, hitherto unused, part of his brain.

Perhaps a swimming motion would work better. Clasping his bag, he began to swim, using his legs to propel his body.

His face broke clear of the surface. Ben opened his eyes and was immediately distracted by the sounds of a struggle to his right. Hastily, he pulled himself free, feeling a moment's pride that he hadn't broken the glass, and stood for a moment on top of it, gathering his bearings.

Lucian and another man were staggering around the room, each trying to get control of the syringe in the stranger's hand, while staying on their feet. A third man lay on the floor. Ben couldn't tell whether he was dead or alive, but he wasn't moving.

Ben dropped his bag to the ground and leapt to Lucian's assistance. He wrapped his arms around the stranger from behind, trapping his arms against his body.

"Eeiiieeee!"

He knew he'd taken the man by surprise but he didn't expect the scream of terror. Panic-struck, the man lashed out, hitting Ben in the face with the back of his head. Dazed, Ben hung on grimly, waiting until Lucian had control of the syringe.

Panting, Lucian paused to squirt a drop of liquid onto his finger and sniff it, before plunging the syringe into the other man's arm. He withdrew the needle after only half the remaining contents were discharged.

"It's only hemal, but I can't be certain how strong it is," explained Lucian. "This should do the job well enough."

The stranger went limp even as Lucian spoke, and Ben lowered him to the ground. He went across to the other man lying on the floor and checked for a pulse. Faint but steady. He was out for the count, but at least he was alive and Ben tipped his body into the recovery position.

Lucian put the syringe down on the edge of the glass and helped Ben to his feet, wincing at the sight of his bruised face.

"Ouch," he exclaimed in sympathy. He tilted Ben's face gently toward the light.

"It could have been worse," said Ben ruefully. "He could have broken my nose. At least he just hit my cheek. What in Heavens name just happened here?" He didn't move. Was it wrong to wish they could stay like this, his face cupped by Lucian's gentle hands, when the two men on the floor probably needed his attention?

Lucian smiled. "I'll tell you later. The most important thing right now is that you came back." Then he pulled him closer and kissed him, hard.

Oblivious of the two men on the ground, Ben put his arms around Lucian and closed his eyes, holding him tight as he melted into the kiss. This was what had been missing from his relationship with Luke. Passion. He held Lucian tighter.

A loud voice interrupted, sounding outraged.

"What in Rhillion's name is going on here?"

The apprentice had finally returned with a Tower guard.