ten. ace of spades

•

─── ❝ 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐞 ❞ ───

There's this thing that my mom used to tell me, as a kid. You know — those little words that weren't supposed to stick, but did. She wasn't around for very long, so each little occurrence of hers, meant all the more, to me. I think I can still recall much of what she said, due to this very fact. Her utterances are the only thing to be kept alive, after all. My mother is buried in the cheapest wooden casket my father could afford, six feet beneath the soil, her heart solid in her chest. Or, whatever the hell happens to hearts after the body is no longer habitable for it. But the real her, is still here. Still whispering, "nothing is constant".

     I think about this, as I open my eyes and look at the girl standing near her window, her eyes bright as they look outward toward the rising morning hours. Jessica Harrington. The most loved girl at Hawkins High, wearing nothing but my club shirt — the cotton material seemingly swallowing her small body whole.

A small smile makes its way onto my face, as I prop myself up from the mattress. A tangle of sheets has gathered on just her side, leaving my uncovered torso to contract at the cold temperature blowing down from overhead vents. And, I can't stop myself from then simply taking a moment to watch her in her element, unknowing of my gaze. I find this happening often. It's a challenge to not stare at Jess. Everything about the girl, begs me to look.

Life is not supposed to be so unbalanced as this. Somehow it is, though. Because we've just gone all the way. Those words from years ago stuck inside of my head, make all the more sense now. Nothing is constant. The damnedest things have found their way into my lifeline.

     Coming back to a sense of reality, I can feel the girl's eyes on me.

     "Hi." I greet her, tilting my head as if to take a picture of this moment. Of her, like this. I don't want to forget it.