Settling in

Gary (Ren Dover) POV:

'To think I found three participants just like that,' I mused to myself as I entered my room alongside Lancelot.

"Why are you smirking to yourself?" Lancelot asked with his tone laced with worry, not for me but for the poor souls that caught my eyes.

"I just saw someone very interesting," I replied half-heartedly. 'Arthur, Alistair and Elijah, was it?'

"Very interesting indeed."

_________________________________ 

Arthur POV:

Elijah and I had a room together while Alistair had a separate room. I hoped that he found a good roommate, preferably one who didn't discriminate against him.

We both turned our heads to the door when two brisk knocks interrupted our conversation.

"That's strange, who would want to see us on the first day? Maybe our neighbors are just saying hello?" Elijah got up to answer the door.

"Who is..." After a brief silence, I turned to see Elijah frozen still. Getting up to see what was going on, I saw Director Goodsky standing nonchalantly at the door, smiling at me.

"Good evening, Arthur. Elijah. May I come in?"

D-D-Director Goodsky! I-It's an honor to meet you in person." Elijah gave a forceful bow that looked almost comedic towards the ever-graceful Cynthia Goodsky.

He lifted his head back up too quickly, almost dropping his glasses in the process while the director gave a polite smile, the crow's feet around her eyes adding to her charm.

"Please come in, Director Goodsky. Elijah, stop blocking the doorway." I pulled out the chair from my desk, motioning for the director to take a seat on the sofa.

"Oh hi, Alistair," Elijah greeted Alistair who followed her inside.

"I told you to call me 'Cynthia.'" She pouted as she almost floated past Elijah and took a seat on the couch, the door closing on its own. The amount of harmony she had with the wind element continued to amaze me, as the air around her almost seem to bend to her will without even a command.

"I don't think it would be wise of a twelve-year-old with no background to be on a first-name basis with the director of the most prestigious academy in this continent." I chuckled as I took a seat on my desk chair while she sat cross-legged on the couch cushion, her back straight and proper.

"My...your bond has changed a lot in appearance since the last time we met. Intriguing." Cynthia tried to hold Sylvie, who was curled on the couch, but she hopped out of her reach and nestled herself on top of my head.

"I was planning on paying a visit to your office to update you on some things but it saves me the trouble with you coming here, I guess. I've probably made an enemy from a not-so-friendly family while I was an adventurer so I don't want to give him any reasons to suspect me, at least not right now." I leaned back in my chair, studying the two charms attached to my bracelet.

"I would actually like your help with another matter." I put my elbows on my knees as I leaned forward towards Director Cynthia.

"Please speak," she kindly replied.

"I want to take higher level mana theory classes, especially those on deviants," I stated simply.

"Hmm... That wouldn't be too difficult to do, but Arthur, wasn't one of your main reasons for attending this academy to fit in with your peers?" She eyed me in a scrutinising manner.

"I don't mind taking these extra classes on top of my normal ones, where I would be with students my age. I'm just impatient to learn a bit more about deviant mana manipulation since I've hit a ceiling on that recently." I almost blurted out, 'since there was no deviation magic in my old world.'