111

Roy Chowdhury haveli had come alive this morning even before the sun rose. Prepration for Puja for well being of Aniruddh was not taken lightly by Trilochan and Bondita saw to it that each and everything was up to the mark as per her Kaka Sasurji as he knew best about such auspicious things and she wanted no mistakes in things regarding her Pati Babu. She wanted to learn too about such things from her Kaka Sasurji. Not the superstitions but the culture. But no matter how much she tried to speak to him, she just couldn't. Not after knowing the truth. The sad, heart wrenching truth of him and her Thakuma. Pain of a love not recieved well, she knew it. Maybe that is why she still didn't hate Aarti completely. Atleast that is what she thought till Bhari Babu informed them of men and talking about her Pati Babu on that night. The reason for this puja.

Bondita knew in her heart she could hate no one, not even the woman who confessed her love to her Pati Babu. Till she stayed in her limits and away from him. But this...the whispers had started spreading. It was good that they had not reached her door steps.

" Bahu..." Binoy called her from the mandir. " Is..." He cleared his throat as Bondita came out of the mandir and looked at him shocked. " Is this alright ?" He asked, his neck stiff, head up in the air, hands at the back in white dhoti kurta. First of what Bondita saw. She had to wait to even form a coherent response apt for a Bahu to give her Sasurji. He looked quite good. No doubt her Pati Babu was handsome.

" Dhoti kurta suits you Sasurji." Bondita smiled and watched him push his spectacle back with his finger, an obvious attempt to hide his smile.

" Really ?" He asked in the most strict and serious tone and Bondita acted to follow it. " You think others would think so too ?"

Bondita frowned with a confused smile. " Obviously. Why won't..."

" There you are !" Came Sampoorna Didi's voice and Bondita saw the firm image her Sasurji tried hard to put on change into fumbling as her Didi approached. So her Didi was the 'others'. Bondita tried hard to stop her laughter as her Sasurji stood straight and turned to his side so her Didi would have a good look at him. " Here. Hold your daughter." And just like that her Sasurji was thrusted with a crying bundle in his arms and no compliments. " Bondita ! You look beautiful !" Sampoorna Didi approached her and her Sasurji went away making displeased faces.

" I didn't even do much Didi."

" Well with the sarees your Kaka Sasurji got us, we don't need to do anything."

It was true. Shining white saree with red and golden boarder, a beautiful Bengali saree. Bondita's was a little more on the light side, slightly transparent giving her a soft look apt for her age. She felt like waving her light pallu and look through it as the princesses in her story books did. She twirled around holding her slipped pallu. " They are beautiful." She sighed. She wished he would notice.

" Bahu !" Trilochan had finally found Bondita.

" Ji Kaka Sasurji..." She said covering her head without the chirp in her voice she usually had while answering him.

" Did you check the Prasad ? Beta you know how these..." He threw an angry glance at Bihari " fools spoil things. And only you and...and Sampoorna are allowed to make..."

" Jeth ji..." Sampoorna tried to stop his rant. " We did that. Is there some else...?"

" No..." He turned his back to them. " Yes ! There is ! Bondita. Come with me !"

" Me...?!"

" Yes ! You !" He said walking away expecting her to follow.

She reluctantly did. " Here are all the things." He pointed with his stick to the things lying around in the hall with Tapur in the centre arranging them. " You made such a good chunri for Durga maa once. Make it again. Will you...?"