Chapter Fifteen

Grace

"Ciden," Jamie whispered, and fainted.

Aderah, who had dozed off at the table with her head resting on her arms, had jolted up at the sound of the door smashing open and was now sprinting up to Jamie's limp body.

Grace was paralyzed.

He was so pale that she couldn't determine how much blood he must have lost.

Her thoughts were racing. What could have happened out there?

She wanted to move, to help Aderah with getting him to the bed, to look at him, hold him, and scream at him to open his goddamn eyes and beg him not to leave her.

If that was it—if he didn't wake up...She'd never be able to forgive herself for that. Their friendship couldn't possibly end in a fight. She refused to think they'd part this way.

Still, her legs refused to take her to her friend. She felt as though she were caught in quicksand. She merely stood there and watched as Aderah rolled Jamie onto his back and studied the wound. The blade remained buried in his stomach.

Tanner's rush from another room jolted Grace out of her trance.

"What happened? Is he—"

"No," Aderah interrupted. "He's still breathing. But he's weak."

Tanner swallowed. Grace knew he felt just as guilty as she did.

Aderah looked up at Tanner. "I need you to carry him to your bed."

He stared at her, perplexed, but obeyed and rushed over to the open doorway, where Jamie was still lying, and knelt down. He looked at the wound for a moment, then at Jamie's lifeless face. Grace noticed his hopeless expression. He didn't believe Jamie would survive this, she realized. She had forgotten that he was unaware of Aderah's ability to perform miracles.

In that moment, she felt so relieved about her decision to bring Aderah with them after having doubted her. She couldn't believe it had only been a few days since the girl had saved her life, for which she hadn't given her proper recognition. She would properly thank her once she was certain Jamie would be alright, and she would refuse to leave her here in a village where people were going about stabbing others. That they could need her on future occasions could only be a blessing.

She didn't want to confess to herself that she had gotten a little attached to the healer. Usually, she avoided forming friendships or anything remotely like them. Except for Jamie, who she couldn't live without anymore—it was nothing more than a burden in her life.

Tanner immediately went for the bedroom after picking up Jamie from the blood-splattered wooden floor. Grace opened the door for him and watched as he carefully placed Jamie on the thin mattress. Jamie's blood instantly stained the white bedsheets.

Aderah knelt next to the bed. She ordered Tanner to bring her some fabric and candles. He hurried to fulfill her requests, his face still perplexed.

"What do you want me to do?" Grace asked anxiously. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

Aderah gave her a sympathetic look. "I need you to calm down. You can't afford to lose your mind now."