The Pollywog

The next morning, Cal woke up to the sun shining brightly onto his face from his window. He groaned and slowly sat up, yawning and stretching his arms. He got out of bed and started to get dressed.

He exited his room and went downstairs to find none other than Steve Harrington making breakfast while also brushing his hair.

"Finally, I was gonna leave you behind if you didn't wake up soon" Steve said with a small chuckle, handing Cal breakfast. Cal just shook his head, amused at his brother's actions

"Yeah, yeah. Give me 5 to eat, then we can go" Steve nodded and went to the garage to get the car ready. He quickly ate it and once done, he went outside and grabbed his skateboard and hopped in the car. Steve smiled, putting on his sunglasses. "And off we go!" Exclaimed Steve as he drove off towards Hawkins Middle and High.

"How was Trick-or-Treating last night?" Steve asked.

"It was really fun. We went to a bunch of different houses, but no one recognised who we were dressed up as so that was annoying. But then red-" Before he could continue, Steve interrupted. "Red?" He asked.

Cal slowly felt his cheeks heat up a little,"Y-Yeah my friend. Her real name is Max, but I call her red." He explained, peaking Steve's interest about this new friend. Steve sent the boy a quick smirk as Cal continued.

"Anyway, she joined us and we started to trick or treat together, but Will had another episode so Mike took him home. After that we all parted ways while I walked Max home" He said.

"So tell me more about 'red'"

"Well, for starters her brother is Billy," Steve scoffed at that name. "But she's nothing like him. She's completely different from him and all the other girls, but in like, the best way possible. Everytime I'm around her, I find myself lost in her ocean blue eyes and that bright smile on her face." Cal sighed out with a smile. "She makes me really happy. I haven't felt this happy since, well, you know" He finished as the two brothers pulled into the parking lot.

Steve took off his sunglasses and looked towards Cal with a shocked expression, carrying a huge grin as well. "Dude, you've got it bad for her," He said. "I can't really give relationship advice but all I can say is just be yourself." Cal nodded as he opened the door and made his way to Hawkins Middle School.

"Hey Blue!" Cal heard someone shout. He smiled as only one person called him that.

He turns around to find the red-haired girl running towards him.

"Hey Red, what's up?" He asked the girl.

"Nothing really. Wanna walk to class with me? I have a couple questions."

"Sure, why not?" He said as they both walked side by side into the school.

"I still don't get why they call him 'Zombie boy'. I mean I get it. He got lost in the woods for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" Max was asking Cal questions about Will's disappearance last year. He didn't really want her to get involved with the upside-down and stuff like that. That would mean she would figure out what he is and he didn't want to lose her.

"Yeah, I mean we had a funeral for him and everything. It was horrible." Cal explained as he moved closer to trying to avoid the kids in the hallway, grazing his hand against hers.

"After a week?" Max questioned as they made it to their lockers, both grabbing their books.

"Well you see some other kid drowned at the quarry. We all thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed." Cal explained further as he closed his locker and the two of them now walked to class.