𝟒𝟖 | 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐭?

"I get that you did all of it for our sakes, but did you have to beat me til I bled? Was fighting me really that important?" Armin asked, his voice taking on a tone of hurt and betrayal

He could still remember the rage in Eren's eyes that day, the way he relentlessly smashed his fists against Armin's fragile skin until he bled. And sure, Armin healed the wounds later that day, but the pain of Eren's actions still lingered. 

Guilt hung over Eren like a dark cloud, his face frowned up in shame as he answered, "I was just so desperate to push everyone away. Even I found myself wondering what I was doing...I got too into the moment. I'm sorry."

While Armin may have gotten hurt physically, he wasn't the only one wounded that day. "You should be apologizing to Mikasa, not me. You really hurt her feelings with all the lies you told." Armin reminded.

Like a kid being scolded by their superior, Eren ducked his head to avoid Armin's disappointed gaze. "Yeah...I know."

The young boys sat on the sparse patches of grass of a river's bank, overlooking a turquoise-blue stream as it wound its way throughout the empty district of Shiganshina. The pebbles hiding beneath the water's bubbling surface reflected the late afternoon sun like sparkling pieces of glitter. There was a warm breeze that carried past, birds chirping in the distance as they flew overhead.

Too bad none of it was real.

Eren felt it was only right to begin him and Armin's conversation at the river in their hometown. It was a spot that Armin and Eren would meet at constantly when they were younger, when their childhood was still full of innocent curiosity and wonder about the world beyond the Walls.

Oh, how they wished they could go back to those days, when ignorance was pure bliss.

The bubbling sounds of the stream lapping at muddy shores helped to fill the thick silence from the boys' pause in conversation. It was awkward for them, an uncomfortable feeling that made them avoid eye contact.

Since they were children, Armin and Eren have never had an argument that didn't get resolved within minutes, and they've never even thought to lay a finger on each other. It was always them fighting together against an outside force. But things have changed since then. The tension from their recent fights and arguments still lingered in the air like poison.